Fruit Sugars

Options
raychybabe
raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
I was a hugely picky eater when I was a child and very sensitive to texture. I am only just learning to eat more fruit and veg. As an example - things I've taught myself to eat and enjoy over past 2 years include peas, green beans, rocket, apples, bananas, cherries. I never used to get anywhere near my 5 a day and my mom always said I'd end up with rickets or something.

I am now eating alot more fruit and veg but my sugar levels seem to be very high as the fruits I like and eat a lot of include strawberries, apples (2-3 per day), bananas (1-2 per day). I want to continue to vary my diet and get my 5 a day, but should I be worried about the increase in my sugar intake, even if it is "natural"?

Replies

• SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions on this, but I say... eat da fruit!! I eat tons of fruit every day and haven't had any issues whatsoever.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't worry. With extreme exceptions, it's hard to eat too much fruit. Just make sure you eat it INSTEAD OF nutritionally inefficient foods that contain sugar like sweets and bread and juices/soda (eat fruit instead of drinking even "natural" juice).
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't worry. With extreme exceptions, it's hard to eat too much fruit. Just make sure you eat it INSTEAD OF nutritionally inefficient foods that contain sugar like sweets and bread and juices/soda (eat fruit instead of drinking even "natural" juice).

Yeah, I'm finding Pink Lady apples a good substitute for a "sweet" craving but they feel substantial enough to feel like real food and fill me up!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Sucrose, or table sugar, is one of the sugars found in fruit. Regardless if it comes from a package or from a banana it is still the same chemical compound and processed by your body in exactly the same way.

Not saying fruit is bad in any way, just that the sugar is the same.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit. You'd have to eat so much you'd burst before the fructose became a problem. It's loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, phyto-doohickeys, AND it's tasty. Good job broadening your horizons--enjoy!

Kris
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sucrose, or table sugar, is one of the sugars found in fruit. Regardless if it comes from a package or from a banana it is still the same chemical compound and processed by your body in exactly the same way.

Not saying fruit is bad in any way, just that the sugar is the same.

Technically this is mostly correct. People saying sucrose is "bad" and fructose is somehow "good" don't have it right, as they are in fact processed by your body in similar ways (the fructose itself doesnt have any vitamins, etc) and pretty much have the same amount of calories. But with fruit those calories are much more efficiently consumed in things that themselves, because of the other nutrients in the fruit, provide the vitamins, minerals and fiber etc. that you need, so they are calories well spent.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I LOVE fruit and get too much sugar in a day because I eat so much. BUT I tell myself that its better than eating a candy bar, cake or ice cream. So I say enjoy your fruit! :smile:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic so my response would be to really limit your watermelon as it is very sweet. Sugar is sugar, the thing about nature's food is that it also contains fiber so if possible, eat the skin as well on your fruits and veggies. For a non diabetic, fruits are great. Fruits are simple sugars and so it will affect you immediately, so please watch your fruit (sugar) intake, just make sure you are eating fiber with your sugary foods (natural or processed). I introduce fiber and I am not a nutritionist nor doctor so make sure fiber is good for you when fruits and sugar is concerned (fructose, glucose and/or sucrose and this includes high fructose corn syrup).