Under 1500 calories and exercises without results

Options
I don't understand. I run 3 to 7 miles four times a week (500-1000 calories burned each time). I drink 10 cups of water or more a day. I eat 1500 calories or less daily, with little to no fat. I'm maintaining my weight at 215 lbs though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. I run 3 to 7 miles four times a week (500-1000 calories burned each time). I drink 10 cups of water or more a day. I eat 1500 calories or less daily, with little to no fat. I'm maintaining my weight at 215 lbs though. Any suggestions?

At 215 and burning that many calories, I think you can eat more than 1500 calories. Then you'd be netting 500-1000 calorise a day. Your metabolism could've slightly slowed so you will lose more slowly.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    The problem is I don't feel that hungry to warrant eating more. Should I increase my calories anyways?
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Your body may be be holding on to its fat cells thinking that it is in starvation mode. You likely need to up your caloric intake with the calories you are using during your runs, it's a nice problem to have !:smile:
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back? Because if you're not, then it's like you're only consuming 500-1000 calories... You should also take measurements. Sometimes we lose inches before we lose pounds, especially if you're building muscles.
  • mrzpeep
    mrzpeep Posts: 7
    Options
    Increase calories and fat. Believe it or not it will work.
  • daisymae9801
    Options
    You could add some higher calorie things but eat the same amount. If you're not hungry, you shouldn't force yourself to eat. But you might be less hungry because of your slowed metabolism. Gradually add some higher calorie stuff such as nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc. You can add calories without adding a lot of food.
  • ARighteousWoman
    Options

what are you eating? are they substantial? healthy?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I weight 193 lbs and I burn about 1000 calories most days, and I eat 1900 calories. Plus some extra if I workout and burn more than 500 calories for that day.

I plateaued for 3 weeks when I wasn't eating enough. Up your calories.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    u might have to up your calorie intake. need some more calories to burn if your exercising that much.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am eating what I think is good. Hitting more gym classes, running 5 miles 3-4 times a week and nothing... not even one pound. It's been like this for the past month :(
    I want to know what people are suggesting.
  • daisymae9801
    Options

Well now you have about thirty suggestions for the same thing. Lol
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Definitely sounds like you're not eating enough. At 159, I'm at 1410, so 1500 seems really low for a guy of your size. Try resetting your MFP goals. If you have more than 1lb. loss per week, if you're active level isn't right, those can all make a difference. Eat back your exercise calories, too. Very important for rebuilding muscle. Try protein shakes, nuts, etc. for extra calories.
  • JGT81
    JGT81 Posts: 1
    Options
    in my opinion I don't think you are eating enough calories for your size.. if you aren't giving your body the right nutrients it will store the ones it has "starvation mode". You should also try mixing up your cardio. If you stay at a steady pace during your runs your not getting optimum calorie "burnage" because your heart rate has adjusted to a steady pace and is not increasing to burn more calories.. I would suggest shorter more high energy cardio like jump roping, dancing kick boxing things like that. Just my opinion though :)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would suggest (and this is just coming from my personal experience) eating more on the days you run, try to keep your net in the 1,200-1,500 range. I'm not saying you have to eat back every exericise calorie, but try not to fall down into the below-1,000 range on the days you run. Just a Builder's Bar after you run and maybe nice fruit smoothie (homemade, not something from Dairy Queen, lol) or peanut-butter sandwich would keep you in a better range. If this doesn't work for you, you could try something else. But a lot of folks say that bringing their calories up a bit when they've burned off a lot helps.

Kris
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You look to be in the same boat as me about 2 months ago. Increase your cals. How tall are you? I'm 6 ft so if you're around there, then we're pretty much the same. I started out eating a NET of around 1400. Im currently eating a NET of 1600 and will start doing a NET of 1800 next week. I found that eating normal wholesome/healthy foods is great. I've tried to stay away from 'diet' foods because they're low in cals, but not getting your body all of the other nutrients it needs. If you don't feel hungry, then increase your cals by eating high cal / high nutrient food like avacados and nuts. I have a nut mixture that I eat daily... its small, but its ups my good fats and cals. Just my opinion though...

How long have you been doing this for now?
  • lynnruiz81
    lynnruiz81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you dont let your body think its in starvation mode if you exercise alot and eat less calories youd think youd loose but your body will hold onto it...........try to change your workouts, do the treadmile and then add weights sometimes you need to shock your body so it can loose. Eat every 2-3hrs on snacks full of protein and healthy fats.......even if your not hungry you should snack on fruit or something so your body can continue to burn fat and calories your metabolism needs to keep being fuled so it can burn....I hope you find a way to keep your scale moving down! =)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Also keep track of your heart rate, if it is too high, then you burn more of the quick burning food/carb calories for energy. Studies have shown that you need to keep your heart rate 60-70% of your max heart rate to target more of your 'fat' for caloric energy. Search 'heart rate monitoring for weight loss' (or something like it) to get more info!

Also, you lost 5 pounds your first week, nothing for 9 days...bet the previous responses are correct that your body is trying to hold on to everything.

Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    for sure.. i'd say you need to eat back at least 1/2 oi your exercise calories, as well as all of your base calories.
    it really makes a difference.. you will lose once your body gets used to actually getting enough nutrients and calories each day
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It may sound crazy, but what have you got to lose ( no pun intended ) TRY eating back your exercise calories.

You don't have to eat heavy stuff, light snacks and protein. Smoothies, peanut butter, etc.

you know how many times I've actually groaned at the end of the day- saying " oh man, I gotta eat MORE?" it's really rather funny
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I wasn't losing either. Turns out my settings were wrong.

1500 calories is definitely too little for a man of your size: Read the link below and adjust accordingly. (From what you've said, you should be set at active or very active (depending on how long your runs are (by time)). Also, check below to see what your defecit should be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Here is the most important parts:

-1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.
    Figuring out your perfect deficit isn't magic, it's a few simple formula's base on some basic, worldwide standards, and generally with slight modefication, will work for just about anyone who (besides weight) is generally healthy.

Here's what you need:
    Height, weight, age, activity level, sex

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds.

If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary.

If you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active.

If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active.

If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball).

When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit

With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)

With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)

With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)

and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

More info on Starvation mode - you may want to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad