Dieting with Candida

Options
my aunt "diagnosed" me with Candidiasis about 3 years ago and i have struggled with that diet since. i did lose 35 pounds the first year i was on it and since then have slipped and put a few pounds back on and let me tell you that now that i'm counting calories and watching what i eat, it still makes it tough.

here is the list of things i should avoid:

The yeast infection diet calls for NO Fruits and fruit juices because of the sugar they contain except for:
Green apples, berries, avocadoes, grapefruit, lemons, limes.
NO Breaded Meats...All others ok .
NO Egg substitutes...Eggs themselves are ok...organic is best since they contain the correct omega fatty acids ratio...with fertile if you can find them being the ideal.
NO Margarine and butter substitutes.
On the yeast infection diet, yogurt (especially made from goats or organic), cream cheese, sour cream made from real cream, unsweetened whipping cream, and butter are all ok.
NO Potatoes and legumes on the yeast infection diet due to the high sugar starch content when digested (includes beans and peas).
Fresh vegetables and freshly made vegetable juice ok.
NO Coffee or tea (regular or decaf), NO Diet or regular sodas, Organic coffee or tea if you must in moderation.
Bottled and reverse osmosis filtered water; distilled water is the best but should only be half of the water you drink, herb teas, fresh lemonade or lime-ade ok.
On the yeast infection diet NO Grains are allowed...this includes pasta, rice, corn, wheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, oats, and barley.
Absolutely NO Yeasts allowed...this includes bread, mushrooms, pastries and alcohol, hydrolyzed yeasts...Read your labels.
NO Pickles, salad dressings, green olives or soy sauce...
Salad dressings made of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, and lemon juice are ok.
Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and black olives not aged in vinegar are ok.
NO Partially hydrogenated oils including corn and peanuts.
Coconut oil , olive, grape seed, and flax seed oils in a cold pressed formula when available is ok.
NO Peanuts on the yeast infection diet and all peanut products and pistachio nuts.
Raw nuts including pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews and pumpkin seeds are ok.
NO VINEGARS These include ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, pickles, pickled peppers, hot sauce, salad dressings, green olives, horseradish, dips, mayonnaise.
Braggs apple cider vinegar is ok because it contains malic acid which is a known yeast infection fighter.
It is best to avoid tuna, swordfish, shark, and shellfish because of high mercury content.

sooooo.... that doesn't leave me a lot to eat.
so, if any of you know any good recipes that avoid a lot of these foods, i would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    my aunt "diagnosed" me with Candidiasis about 3 years ago and i have struggled with that diet since. i did lose 35 pounds the first year i was on it and since then have slipped and put a few pounds back on and let me tell you that now that i'm counting calories and watching what i eat, it still makes it tough.

here is the list of things i should avoid:

The yeast infection diet calls for NO Fruits and fruit juices because of the sugar they contain except for:
    Green apples, berries, avocadoes, grapefruit, lemons, limes.
    NO Breaded Meats...All others ok .
    NO Egg substitutes...Eggs themselves are ok...organic is best since they contain the correct omega fatty acids ratio...with fertile if you can find them being the ideal.
    NO Margarine and butter substitutes.
    On the yeast infection diet, yogurt (especially made from goats or organic), cream cheese, sour cream made from real cream, unsweetened whipping cream, and butter are all ok.
    NO Potatoes and legumes on the yeast infection diet due to the high sugar starch content when digested (includes beans and peas).
    Fresh vegetables and freshly made vegetable juice ok.
    NO Coffee or tea (regular or decaf), NO Diet or regular sodas, Organic coffee or tea if you must in moderation.
    Bottled and reverse osmosis filtered water; distilled water is the best but should only be half of the water you drink, herb teas, fresh lemonade or lime-ade ok.
    On the yeast infection diet NO Grains are allowed...this includes pasta, rice, corn, wheat, millet, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, oats, and barley.
    Absolutely NO Yeasts allowed...this includes bread, mushrooms, pastries and alcohol, hydrolyzed yeasts...Read your labels.
    NO Pickles, salad dressings, green olives or soy sauce...
    Salad dressings made of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, and lemon juice are ok.
    Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and black olives not aged in vinegar are ok.
    NO Partially hydrogenated oils including corn and peanuts.
    Coconut oil , olive, grape seed, and flax seed oils in a cold pressed formula when available is ok.
    NO Peanuts on the yeast infection diet and all peanut products and pistachio nuts.
    Raw nuts including pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews and pumpkin seeds are ok.
    NO VINEGARS These include ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, pickles, pickled peppers, hot sauce, salad dressings, green olives, horseradish, dips, mayonnaise.
    Braggs apple cider vinegar is ok because it contains malic acid which is a known yeast infection fighter.
    It is best to avoid tuna, swordfish, shark, and shellfish because of high mercury content.

sooooo.... that doesn't leave me a lot to eat.
    so, if any of you know any good recipes that avoid a lot of these foods, i would greatly appreciate it.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...does your aunt havew any credentials? Because there are many things that can cause yeast overgrowth (weakened immune system or diabetes) and it would be a good idea to get a proper diagnosis from an MD or DO. You also didn't say whether or not this diet has done you any good yeast-wise. That's great on the weight loss, though!
  • christelpistol
    Options
    she has a phD in nutrition. i guess i should have mentioned that in my first post. whoops.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options
    Dear Lord, my dear. How do you survive on that diet? It's almost inhumane sounding! How about trying probiotics? or have you already?
  • christelpistol
    Options
    it's tough. TRUST me.

and i don't have a TERRIBLE case of it. i mean i HAVE been doing this for almost 4 years. i know what triggers and what doesn't. but yeah, when everyone is talking about breakfast bars and and and and... i have to forgo that and find something else without sugar. or find something with cane sugar.

the trouble really comes into play because A: i'm lazy. and B: i typically eat like a 3 year old. i would be perfectly content to live off of chicken and fries. but. that's not a healthy diet for ANYONE.

so. here i am. out of my comfort zone. trying new things. peeing every 7 minutes. but i lost 10 pounds this week. and my boyfriend is challenging me to eat different things as well. and he's VERY convincing. and supportive.

but i also take vitamins and supplements. i take a capryllic acid and another product called Yeast Ex that my aunt's vitamin company makes. and i take alpadophilus as well. i either slosh or rattle when i walk.

so. my plea again, is if anyone knows any good recipes...i would be ETERNALLY grateful.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options
    it's tough. TRUST me.

and i don't have a TERRIBLE case of it. i mean i HAVE been doing this for almost 4 years. i know what triggers and what doesn't. but yeah, when everyone is talking about breakfast bars and and and and... i have to forgo that and find something else without sugar. or find something with cane sugar.

the trouble really comes into play because A: i'm lazy. and B: i typically eat like a 3 year old. i would be perfectly content to live off of chicken and fries. but. that's not a healthy diet for ANYONE.

so. here i am. out of my comfort zone. trying new things. peeing every 7 minutes. but i lost 10 pounds this week. and my boyfriend is challenging me to eat different things as well. and he's VERY convincing. and supportive.

but i also take vitamins and supplements. i take a capryllic acid and another product called Yeast Ex that my aunt's vitamin company makes. and i take alpadophilus as well. i either slosh or rattle when i walk.

so. my plea again, is if anyone knows any good recipes...i would be ETERNALLY grateful.

Oh, you have made me giggle!! Love the sloshing/rattling comment! How about a raw diet? Check out this website for plenty of recipes that maybe you can use. http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ It's a little radical-but they say weight loss is a result of eating a raw diet, too, so maybe it will help both?? Good luck again!