An interesting thing my dietition told me

Options
This may have already been said before but I'll share anyways...

My dietitian made a good point today that I never really thought about. She said that if we don't eat enough food before and sometimes even after we workout, our bodies start to conserve energy (and yes, fat) WHILE we're working out. Your body realizes that it's not going to get the calories it needs to fuel you though the workout, so it conserves which is completely counterproductive to weight loss!

So if you're not eating up your calories for the day (and this isn't counting your exercise calories), your workouts are working against you. That was an a-ha moment for me...

So yeah, make sure you're eating enough, even if you think it's hard. Your body needs it ESPECIALLY if you're regularly exercising!

Replies

• MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Good Point! :-)
  • mbward20
    mbward20 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Your body will also eat up muscle before fat too if you haven't eaten beforehand because it stores more nutrients. I always force myself to eat something before leaving the house now!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This becomes my problem CONSTANTLY. It's refered to in my household as "starvation mode". It takes weeks get out of too, but I forget how easy it is to net 600 calories a day w/o feeling hungry! My man helps keep me in check about it, but I'm learning to eat about 400 calories for breakfast to make up for the work outs, and then scale back my work outs a tiny bit.- rather than trying to cram them all in in the PM after a long day. Balance is the key!
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    So...do you have to eat before you work out? I work out at 5am and then I eat a few hours after. So is this wrong? I can't really get myself to eat at 4:45 when I get up and I have to be at work by 7....suggestions?
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I get very concerned with the number of people who post these vicious workout numbers and come in under their calorie goals. The calorie goal is at a diet level already. A little under isn't a biggie. But ignoring 20 and 30% is going to backfire.
  • drogheda1
    drogheda1 Posts: 57
    Options
    You must eat in the morning no matter what your doing. If im going to do a long run of 5k or more then i need more carbs, i tend to go for porridge,few nuts and an apple.if im doing an hour of moderate-intense exercise i will have an apple with greek yog and some nuts....eggs are good to.the less carbs u eat in the morning the more fat u will burn in the exercise...its important to eat the daily reccomended amount of carbs the rest of the day (always make sure theyre good carbs!!)
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Good information to have. Thanks.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent point. Thank you for sharing! I am noticing that the more I'm eating, the more I'm losing.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    This is what really confuses me....there are so many different dr.'s telling you different things. Ugh...so frustrating.....I eat in the mornings but not before my work outs.....

http://articles.cnn.com/1999-06-11/health/9906_11_fitness.diet.workout_1_exercise-session-strength-training-digestive-process?_s=PM:HEALTH
  • tacomom
    tacomom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is good to eat carbs before working out. Even a banana is good to get your body the energy to workout. Within 30 minutes to an hour after workout protein is important to help you not lose muscle. I find it hard to do but doing this I noticed my workouts are much better. I use a whey protein shake for the protein after working out. Hope this helps.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding me why it is so important to eat back exercise calories and how important it is to eat even if your not hungry.
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    NOW THIS MAKES SENCE TO ME
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    a-ha moment bumpity bump
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    That is a physiological concept I have never heard of. The metabolic demands of exercise pretty much override everything else. Performance might suffer if you don't have enough stored glycogen or circulating glucose, but you won't "conserve" fat. You actually switch to more fat, which is why performance suffers. Unfortunately, that switching to more fat doesn't help w/permanent fat loss.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So...do you have to eat before you work out? I work out at 5am and then I eat a few hours after. So is this wrong? I can't really get myself to eat at 4:45 when I get up and I have to be at work by 7....suggestions?
    It's up to you. I get up at 5 am also. I walk our 3 dogs, eat breakfast, go for a 3 mile run, shower and have to be at work by 7 also. (My hubby gets to take care of getting the kids to daycare in the morning so he's the best :happy:)
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    error; deleted
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I usually manage eat something quick before my 5:30am workout, and then I eat a full meal afterwards. It may take a while to get used to eating something, but I think it's a good idea. Years ago, I started out with applesauce because it is somewhat drinkable but has more substance to it than just having juice or something. Then I added in bits of protein with the carbs gradually.

I am a bit lucky that I don't have to be to work until 10:30am so I'm not in a time crunch in the morning....Feel free to check out my diary. My daily morning snack is listed as "pre-am practice snack".
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    good to know, thanks!