My Friend needs Help.

Hey Friends,

My best friend is considered obese and I really want to encourage her to get healthy. She is such a beautiful person, but I don't want to hurt her feelings. I want her to sign up with My Fitness Pal. How can I help her?

Thanks,
Jeagirl

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    The best thing you can do is tell her about how much you love it here and how much better you feel after a few weeks of eating the right foods and the right amount of food... whether you have to step your intake up or down .... if you've never spoken to her about weight issues, don't just blurt out that you think she should join... but if she complains about her weight to you, step right in and offer this site as a lifestyle, FREEEEEEE lifestyle, not a diet.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Show her some people that have been successful using My Fitness Pal.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Sometimes people need a bit of tough love. I might mention that a site you use has helped people shed over 20 Million pounds and you are loving being a part of that.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Also tell her that it's fun to post stuff to your friends and cheer people on and you'd like to be able to message her and have her share in your successes and trials to help YOU along. Hopefully she'll just kinda catch the fever and join in too.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Talk to her about your concerns, stress that you love her, and focus on the idea that if she joins MFP this is something that you can do together as friends.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Keep in mind that she might not be ready -- I know that there were several times that I was "dieting" only because friends were, and my heart wasn't really in it. Needless to say, the dieting didn't stick.

If she is complaining about her weight, by all means, tell her about this site. If she's comfortable where she's at -- then it might be a tough sell.

The best way that I have found to encourage others is the success that I have had. People have just now started noticing that I have lost weight and when they ask I tell them about MFP. (and they also ask about the Body Bugg -- silly thing does not get covered up under short sleeve shirts as advertised! LOL)

Good luck with your friend!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Does SHE want to loose weight/ get healthy? If she does, then tell her to check out the website and always be there to support her and give her the help she needs :P