How Often Do You Weigh Yourself?

Options
I am new to this and am just trying to get some opinions. I have heard some say that you should weigh yourself weekly, and others who say you should weigh yourself daily. I am just wondering what other people have done and why it has or hasn't worked!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week at the same time each week on the same scale. Weight can fluctuate daily and it can be discouraging so I stick to weekly weight ins.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Generally this is BAD behavior for someone trying to lose weight due to the fact that your weight fluctuates every day due to many factors. I only LOG my weight 1 day a week. I've been an every day weigher for so long now that it's like an addiction... I only stop weighing myself when I know how BAD the number is really going to be... and for me that's the start of a bad slide because I stop caring and then I stop paying attention to what I'm eating... the next thing I know I'm up 10-20 pounds.

You will find that you will do what is best for you... what works for you. I have heard others here say they only weigh themselves once a month. That would kill me. I need more gratification than that or else I will lose my momentum.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but have learned to take the fluctuations in stride. I "check in" weekly with MFP.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been going with the weekly weigh in.
    With my exercise schedule I find that my weight varies day to day depending on the intensity of my workout.
    Now I weigh in every Saturday morning.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily will drive you crazy with the normal body fluctuations. My advice is to pick a morning and weigh once a week, or once every two weeks.

Good luck!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 4 x a day, to 1 x a day, to 1 x a week, and now it's usually once a week, or sometimes every 10-14 days. I aim for every Sunday or Monday though, after a wee and before anything to eat or drink in the same part of the bathroom lol
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday.It just helps me know where I am.Sometimes it lets me know if I can have a treat and be ok.I know its not the best way,but its been helping me so far..
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Generally this is BAD behavior for someone trying to lose weight due to the fact that your weight fluctuates every day due to many factors. I only LOG my weight 1 day a week. I've been an every day weigher for so long now that it's like an addiction... I only stop weighing myself when I know how BAD the number is really going to be... and for me that's the start of a bad slide because I stop caring and then I stop paying attention to what I'm eating... the next thing I know I'm up 10-20 pounds.

You will find that you will do what is best for you... what works for you. I have heard others here say they only weigh themselves once a month. That would kill me. I need more gratification than that or else I will lose my momentum.

This.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I understand why so many folks don't and can't do this. It's normal for your body to fluctuate several pounds daily. I can take this in stride without freaking out, but not everyone can.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Everyday, and I log every time I lose on the scale too. I dont change the number unless it goes down. Sometimes that may be a week or two. Im not the type of person to get upset if it stays the same or goes up a few pounds.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm bad and do it daily. I shouldn't do it since I know it could be water weight gain. I'm trying to break the bad habit and do it every other day:laugh:
  • Neek170
    Neek170 Posts: 8
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on the same scale and I aim for as soon as I get up (with nothing to eat yet) because thats when its most accurate. I find it to be most helpful for me...I'm taking my journey week by week!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I weigh morning and at night, and record these numbers in an Excel spreadsheet and make nice little graphs. Even though there is daily fluctuation, it is so motivating to see the number going down overall for morning and night. I "check in" on MFP once a week though.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It helps me stay mindful of my goals. I also understand about fluctuations, so it doesn't bother me when it goes up a bit. I only update here once a week (at most), and if it's stayed at a new lower weight for at least 2 days.
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day. Weighing every day has shown me patterns and trends. For example, I will consistantly hold the same weight for two days and then suddenly drop down. Before when I tried losing weight I didn't realize that, saw that I hadn't lost weight after a week of hard work and gave up. I was new to all this then and didn't realize the way I work.

Now I weigh everyday and it helps me stay focused and track where my body is. I like knowing if it is my two stall days before the drop. Once it starts slowing down I might go to once a week. We'll see!
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    I used to do it daily but that just sucks! Now I record every Saturday! It makes weighing in way more fun!