Stationay bike v.s. Real biking Which is better?

Options
Just a thought. I bought a new bike last week and I have been loving riding it! However a thought crept in my mind and id like to ask how you feel about it?

It seems real biking is so much harder for me. Possibly with all the uphills and randomness not ssociated with the excersise bike at the gym. Maybe its also because Im a big guy and I weigh in at 327 lbs. Probably having to carry my weight and move it along is alot harder as well.

Question is, where am i getting a better workout? It seems the calories burned on both according to fitness pal is about even. I sweat more and its harder on a real bike it seems.

Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Working on a real bike is way harder, especially if you have hills in the course you ride.

Don't believe what the machines tell you - they're not as good as the real thing.
  • paola0906
    paola0906 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the bikes for spinning! I went to a spinning class and I loved it so much that I bought a spinning bike. It's great and you burn about 500-600 in 30 minutes depending on the intensity. I can't do the real bikes for some reason I find it harder, but I love spinning!!!!!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you use the interval programs they can be comparable, but still real thing is the best
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Stationary bikes are good if you want to do a workout when watching TV. You will get a BETTER workout using a real bike. Hills factor in. Just like the treadmill and the stair climber machines are not even close to the real thing. I challenge anyone who can do 40 flights of stairs on a stair climber to do 40 real stairs in a tall building!!! NO COMPARISON to the real thing!!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I think your question my even prompt me to get a HRM if I could still ride.

I think the 2 differences you named. 1) the fact that you have to propel your own weight as well as 2) variable terrain. Are good arguments for the real bike being a better workout.

I used to LOOOOOOVE bike riding before middle ear problems (balance) became an issue for me.
    So, I way favor real -life change of scenery and using it as transportation to me that's a big plus.
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    Yea I was just figuring that its a lot harder prob to move all my weight so I assumed I was getting a better wokout calorie burning wise riding my real bike!
  • PhilBriski
    Options
    Real bike is harder, but change of scenery and unlimited trails are motivating. I have met some great people out biking. Local bike shop will have map of trails in your area. A real bike on a great trail is some relaxing you wont even notice that you are exercising.
    Good luck and stick with it.
  • RainyMel
    RainyMel Posts: 16
    Options
    Obviously a bikeride outside -- you can't beat the wind in your hair (er, through a helmet of course.. safety first ;) ). Plus, you get a variety of workouts on a real bike while a stationary bike is just on a flat plane and already balanced for you.

If the smile you get from riding a real bike didn't tip you off, let the sweat and the healthy thighs do it (:
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Just guessing here but I'd think a real bike might be a slightly better workout because you are having to keep your balance so you're using your arms & core muscles a little bit. But really, I think whichever you enjoy more and are more likely to DO is what really matters.

Great progress by the way - keep on rockin it!
  • loosecannonzs
    Options
    I live in S. Florida and its pretty flat ground. That being said, as I get into the 5 plus mile area in my workout I can feel the very slight elevation changes. When it gets easier to peddle, I just peddle faster. I think the constant variations are a better workout, plus the freedom of riding outside just feels better (even though its very hot outside). I change my route all the time so its not as boring as riding a stationary bike.
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    Plus there is the wind factor, I know riding home from work there has been days where it has been straight into a 30 - 35 mph wind for miles, work hard to just move forward in that LOL!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A real bike gives a much better workout for the reasons mentioned as well as two others: 1) You need to balance yourself on a real bike. It is not much, but it requires the use of more of your body than a stationary bike. 2) You also have to bike dealing with factors like the wind. I know since the better weather has come I have done a lot of biking, and while the hill may help a little when biking with it, it really works against you biking against it.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Riding a real bike provides a much better workout for me. I live in Illinois, in an area that is relatively flat. The wind really makes the workout a challenge at times. However, be sure to buy a good, comfortable bike with a comfortable seat. It makes all the difference in the world. I still have 185 pounds to lose, but I'm now riding a lot. Just rode 16 miles today, for a total of 290 miles in June so far. It takes a while to build up the muscle, and endurance, but once you have, it is well worth it. Hope to bike from Portland to Seattle in August, and Chicago to St. Louis in October. Best of luck...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Imo real biking is better but stationary may be more convenient.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound a wee bit crazy but I actually burn more on the exercise bike than I do biking outside. (Yes I use an HRM)

The thing with the stationary for me is that I can go super fast with a high resistance and a pretty consistent pace without stopping.

With out door biking, especially on a paved path it's smoother, I can't control my resistance and I can only go so fast before I have to start worrying about wiping out or taking out the roller bladers and joggers that I'm sharing the path with.

We did try to do some off road dirt trails and THAT was pretty brutal but we only ended up riding for about 40 min because it was muddy and my boyfriend twisted his ankle and his feet are messed up already from a work related accident.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    That is why I bike on roads. Thankfully we live near the edge of town and have paved country roads near us. It is quite hilly as well as we generally have a pretty stiff breeze. I burn a lot more outside on my bike than inside, but I bike at as fast a speed as I can and generally since the majority of the ride is straight and I have no pedestrians to avoid like I would have on the local trails I can get up quite a lot of speed without having to worry. I probably average about 14 or 15 MPH depending on wind speed and direction.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Riding outside is much much harder. You engage your whole body and you don't get a choice in the terrain. However, riding inside is easier and can be done in any weather and it is less hazardous without all the crazy drivers. I love spin classes but change it up by riding outside.