Water Question

Options
does tea count towards your water intake of the day?

i drink non caffeinated red herbal tea, no sugar and either no milk or a very teeny tiny bit of milk.

i was reading up on it, and some things say it does, others say it doesn't

so whats your take?

Replies

• TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    does tea count towards your water intake of the day?

i drink non caffeinated red herbal tea, no sugar and either no milk or a very teeny tiny bit of milk.

i was reading up on it, and some things say it does, others say it doesn't

so whats your take?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    If it helps get my water in, I count it.
    I do not love water, so I use green tea for flavor.
    Everyone's opinions are different though.

Heck, I've even seen some soda companys go as far as saying the water in their sodas count towards water count.....not so sure I can swallow that one. :huh:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as it's a natural tea and you're not ruining it with a ton of sweetener and milk and creamer that it counts...although I don't count mine...I usually only have tea when I'm out of calories and want a little something before bed...I dont know if scientifically tea does the same things for your body that plain water does...
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Tea, though made with water, is still a diuretic. Like coffee and diet soda.

You still get something out of it, but the only thing that counts as water is water.

:flowerforyou: Sorry sweetie!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad:
    :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
  • Fab140
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad:
    :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
    hug.jpg

Is okiliy dokely!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    *sniff....tank ewe.
  • Fab140
    Options
    :ohwell: Welcome gorgeous lady :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I use those Lipton iced tea to go packets to help me drink water because I just wouldn't drink water otherwise. They have zero everything so it's okay. So don't bust my bubble please. I'm not listening. lalalalalalalalalalala
  • Fab140
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're a cutie mommared!!

Try adding a little lime or lemon to water and drinking that inbetween your to-go packs. That way you're still getting straight water:flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks for not busting my bubble. :bigsmile:
  • TaraJ16
    Options
    my problem is that i have a really hard time actually drinking water. i don't like those crystal light, lipton to go things, i've tried those before.

i can drink a couple of glasses here and there, but not much. i actually literally gag and get sick if i drink too much plain water, lol! i'm a freak, i know!
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call you a freak. The maximum I can seem to get to is 4 or 5 glasses (8oz) a day. I have never been much of a drinker. Can't even finish a 12 oz. can of soda most days. I love snack foods much more than drinks.

my problem is that i have a really hard time actually drinking water. i don't like those crystal light, lipton to go things, i've tried those before.

i can drink a couple of glasses here and there, but not much. i actually literally gag and get sick if i drink too much plain water, lol! i'm a freak, i know!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Can I make a small suggestion? I heard or read it somewhere (will have to research this again) that a person can create a habit (and learn to actually like it) if they try it 15 times. Maybe you could try just plain water 15 times in fifteen days. That's just over 6.5oz. of water, 15 times in one day (97.5oz total in one day)...and then do that for 15 days.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get slammed over this one, but I did a lot of research. Your daily water intake can be obtained any way that you like it. That includes in the foods you eat and any liquids that you drink like juices or teas. So don't feel like you have to force plain water, feel free to add some kind of flavoring. Now, on the other hand, there is a lot of debate over the health hazards of soda, sugar and artifical sweeteners.

Here's a part of an article from WebMD

The Wonders of Water
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH
    WebMD FeatureReviewed by Michael W. Smith, MDWater is one of the most basic elements of life but figuring out how much we ought to drink hasn't always been so simple.

Most of us grew up thinking we needed to drink eight glasses of water each day, in addition to any other drinks we might choose. But the latest recommendations say that we no longer need to worry about drinking specific amounts of water. Instead, we can simply satisfy our thirst with any beverage. As it turns out, there really was no scientific evidence for the 64-ounce daily recommendation that was based on survey data of usual consumption.

Of course, water -- clean, refreshing, and calorie-free -- is an ideal beverage of choice but studies have shown that you can be just as hydrated with coffee, soft drinks, or even beer. And some folks swear by its weight loss powers, including Mireille Guiliano, author of the best-selling book French Women Don't Get Fat.

To help make the facts about water crystal clear, WebMD asked experts for the skinny on just how much water we need, and whether drinking water can really help keep those extra calories at bay.

The New Fluid Guidelines
    A 2002 study published in the American Journal of Physiology questioned the old recommendation of 8 ounces of water, eight times a day. After a thorough review, researcher Heinz Valtin concluded there was inadequate evidence that healthy adults -- living in temperate climates and not engaged in rigorous activities -- need large amounts of water.

For normal, healthy adults, Valtin recommended simply drinking when thirsty. And he reported that even caffeinated drinks can count toward satisfying our fluid requirements.

In February 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issued new recommendations that agree with Valtin's findings. The new guidelines remove the eight-glasses-a-day recommendation, and say healthy adults may use thirst to determine their fluid needs. Exceptions to this rule include anyone with a medical condition requiring fluid control; athletes; and people taking part in prolonged physical activities or whose living conditions are extreme.

How Much Is Enough?
    The IOM report did not specify requirements for water but made general fluid intake recommendations based on survey data of 91 ounces (that's 11-plus cups a day) for women and 125 ounces (15-plus cups a day) for men. Remember, these guidelines are for total fluid intake, including fluid from all food and beverages.

Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. Assuming these percentages are accurate for most of us, the recommended amount of beverages, including water, would be approximately 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men.

Water and Weight Control
    For years, drinking water has been recommended for weight loss -- despite the fact that fluids generally satisfy thirst and not hunger. Barbara Rolls, PhD, an expert on thirst and satiety, points out that thirst and hunger are regulated by entirely different mechanisms.

A recent study by Rolls and colleagues at Penn State University looked at whether people who drank water with lunch took in fewer calories than those who drank other low-calorie beverages. They found that drinking water had little effect on total calorie consumption at the meal.

"In all of our research, we have never been able to show that water can cause weight loss," says Rolls. The only way drinking water can help you lose weight is if you substitute it for higher-calorie beverages or foods, she explains.

However, eating foods with high water content can help dieters, by increasing the fullness factor.

"When you add water to a bowl of vegetables as in soup, the soup has greater satiety than when the vegetables are eaten alone with a glass of water," explains Rolls, author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan and The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan. "When water is incorporated into food or shakes, satiety is increased and subjects ultimately eat less food."

The weight loss benefits of water stem from several facts:

Foods that incorporate water tend to look larger.
    The higher volume of these foods provides greater oral stimulation.
    Most important, when water is bound to food, it slows down absorption and lasts longer in the belly.
    If you want to lose weight, Rolls recommends an eating plan that includes plenty of high-volume foods such as fruits, vegetables, broth-based soups, and oatmeal, along with adequate fluids to satisfy your thirst.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to get slammed over this one, but I did a lot of research. Your daily water intake can be obtained any way that you like it. That includes in the foods you eat and any liquids that you drink like juices or teas. So don't feel like you have to force plain water, feel free to add some kind of flavoring. Now, on the other hand, there is a lot of debate over the health hazards of soda, sugar and artifical sweeteners.

Here's a part of an article from WebMD

The Wonders of Water
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH
    WebMD FeatureReviewed by Michael W. Smith, MDWater is one of the most basic elements of life but figuring out how much we ought to drink hasn't always been so simple.

Most of us grew up thinking we needed to drink eight glasses of water each day, in addition to any other drinks we might choose. But the latest recommendations say that we no longer need to worry about drinking specific amounts of water. Instead, we can simply satisfy our thirst with any beverage. As it turns out, there really was no scientific evidence for the 64-ounce daily recommendation that was based on survey data of usual consumption.

Of course, water -- clean, refreshing, and calorie-free -- is an ideal beverage of choice but studies have shown that you can be just as hydrated with coffee, soft drinks, or even beer. And some folks swear by its weight loss powers, including Mireille Guiliano, author of the best-selling book French Women Don't Get Fat.

To help make the facts about water crystal clear, WebMD asked experts for the skinny on just how much water we need, and whether drinking water can really help keep those extra calories at bay.

The New Fluid Guidelines
    A 2002 study published in the American Journal of Physiology questioned the old recommendation of 8 ounces of water, eight times a day. After a thorough review, researcher Heinz Valtin concluded there was inadequate evidence that healthy adults -- living in temperate climates and not engaged in rigorous activities -- need large amounts of water.

For normal, healthy adults, Valtin recommended simply drinking when thirsty. And he reported that even caffeinated drinks can count toward satisfying our fluid requirements.

In February 2004, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issued new recommendations that agree with Valtin's findings. The new guidelines remove the eight-glasses-a-day recommendation, and say healthy adults may use thirst to determine their fluid needs. Exceptions to this rule include anyone with a medical condition requiring fluid control; athletes; and people taking part in prolonged physical activities or whose living conditions are extreme.

How Much Is Enough?
    The IOM report did not specify requirements for water but made general fluid intake recommendations based on survey data of 91 ounces (that's 11-plus cups a day) for women and 125 ounces (15-plus cups a day) for men. Remember, these guidelines are for total fluid intake, including fluid from all food and beverages.

Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. Assuming these percentages are accurate for most of us, the recommended amount of beverages, including water, would be approximately 9 cups for women and 12.5 cups for men.

Water and Weight Control
    For years, drinking water has been recommended for weight loss -- despite the fact that fluids generally satisfy thirst and not hunger. Barbara Rolls, PhD, an expert on thirst and satiety, points out that thirst and hunger are regulated by entirely different mechanisms.

A recent study by Rolls and colleagues at Penn State University looked at whether people who drank water with lunch took in fewer calories than those who drank other low-calorie beverages. They found that drinking water had little effect on total calorie consumption at the meal.

"In all of our research, we have never been able to show that water can cause weight loss," says Rolls. The only way drinking water can help you lose weight is if you substitute it for higher-calorie beverages or foods, she explains.

However, eating foods with high water content can help dieters, by increasing the fullness factor.

"When you add water to a bowl of vegetables as in soup, the soup has greater satiety than when the vegetables are eaten alone with a glass of water," explains Rolls, author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan and The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan. "When water is incorporated into food or shakes, satiety is increased and subjects ultimately eat less food."

The weight loss benefits of water stem from several facts:

Foods that incorporate water tend to look larger.
    The higher volume of these foods provides greater oral stimulation.
    Most important, when water is bound to food, it slows down absorption and lasts longer in the belly.
    If you want to lose weight, Rolls recommends an eating plan that includes plenty of high-volume foods such as fruits, vegetables, broth-based soups, and oatmeal, along with adequate fluids to satisfy your thirst.

I've seen the same, actually. Everything we eat is partly water--but the more calorie-dense foods just have less of it. There's no reason to drink so much water that you're urinating every 20 minutes; that will drain electrolytes just like vomiting or diarrhea. Although caffeine is a diuretic, it's not going to cause you to urinate everything you've just had to drink. We produce ADH, a hormone that regulates solute levels in the blood. If our blood-solute level is high, indicating dehydration, we retain water, and vice-versa. It's more important to balance water and electrolyte intake than to just guzzle down water.
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I listen to Doc Zorba on Wisconsin Public Radio and he did comment about how Europeans are so much healthier than Americans and you don't see them attached to their water bottles. They go get a drink when they are thirsty. He said that of course water isdefinately not bad for you but it is not required to be constantly drinking it when you are not thirsty. There's my 2 cents.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I have now filled my wonderful friend....my 32 oz...Iced Tea Cup....with....egads....I can hardly say it................WATER! :noway:

I am afraid it will explode. I am afraid I will fall down in a faint. Did the world stop turning??

Thanks for making think about this. I make a big container of Iced Tea each morning with 1 large and 1 small lipton reg tea and 2 fruit green tea bags. I make one each morning and no one else drinks tea...........sooooo that means I drink it all.

I have challenged myself to stretch it to 2 days. I will start adding water to the cup and see what happens.

BTW I also drink 4 19 oz bottles of water each day.
  • TaraJ16
    Options
    what i've been doing is 2 mugs of tea a day (16 oz each - i have big mugs, lol)

and then 2 water bottles (16oz each) every day.

i do a cup of tea in the morning, and a cup of tea at night. and then I drink the 2 bottles during the day. One while i'm working out, and the other anytime i'm thirsty through the day. somedays i end up drinking a little more, but normally not, cause i really don't like water, lol!