Best leg workouts?

Options
So I'm a SAHM and we have some weights here, and I don't mind doing body weight exercises, but I was wondering what everyone thinks are the best lower body exercises. That's where I carry my extra weight and I'd love some tips...Currently, I do squats (with a 6 lb medicine ball), single leg lunges (no weight, yet), Romanian Dead Lifts with a 45lb Olympic bar, sometimes I do the quad machine, but it kind of sucks so I try and avoid it, sometimes I do wall sits (a minute at a time) and also just using the elliptical, walking/jogging and sometimes hiking up hills with my husband.

I just want some great firming exercises. My legs are very strong (but lack the tone and definition I'd like) and I know I need to push myself more, but I want something manageable that I can stick with while caring for my 4 month old infant and working part-time.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    HAMSTRINGS AND GLUTES:

kneel on all fours, place a dumbell (I use 10 lb) behind one knee, hold it there (with your knee bent), flex foot and lift toward ceiling. up and down, hold up--hold higher, pulse, etc.

lie on your back, bend knees, placing heels on ground (or up on a step), toes pointed up. make a "bridge" by lifting pelvis toward ceiling, up and down, hold up--hold higher, pulse, etc. OPTIONAL: place 10 lb. weight across your lower belly/hips while you do this (you have to hold it).

QUADS:

Sit straight with back against wall, legs extended out forward. Flex feet so heels are off ground. Alternate lifting each leg with muscles fully engaged (you can't lift very high). try 8 reps each side, without letting leg touch ground until it's time to switch, hold up for 8 counts, etc. OPTIONAL: hold a dumbbell on your thigh while you lift.

note: be careful with lunges. they are notorious for knee damage. Squats are twice as efficient. Try different variations; for example put on some music about 128 bpm and squat in 16 or 32 count blocks:

SINGLES (DOWN 1, UP 1)

DOWN (HOLDING) PULSE FOR 3, UP 1

DOWN 2, UP 2

DOWN 3, UP 1

DOWN 1, UP 3

DOWN 4, UP 4

DOWN 6, UP 2

(and the killer): DOWN 2, UP 6.

(ha ha I keep editing) -- you can use these same counting variations on the other exercises listed above, or for any exercises for that matter. Great for biceps, triceps, crunches, etc.

blessings.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bumpin to come back to :)