hungry, cranky and discouraged

Options
zaza54
zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
I think the title says it all - hungry, cranky and discouraged. I don't mean to be a downer, but I'm hoping I'll feel better if I vent. This is at least the 2nd or 3rd time my ticker has gone in the wrong direction. It's my own fault. I guess I don't want to lose weight enough or be healthy enough to starve or spend every waking moment working out. I'll stop here as I feel I am ranting. And I'm hungry so let me find something lo-calorie to eat. Ugh!!!:grumble:

Replies

• zaza54
    Options
    I think the title says it all - hungry, cranky and discouraged. I don't mean to be a downer, but I'm hoping I'll feel better if I vent. This is at least the 2nd or 3rd time my ticker has gone in the wrong direction. It's my own fault. I guess I don't want to lose weight enough or be healthy enough to starve or spend every waking moment working out. I'll stop here as I feel I am ranting. And I'm hungry so let me find something lo-calorie to eat. Ugh!!!:grumble:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I had the same issue this morning, got on the scale, and it said I weighed 2 pounds more than I did yesterday! But everyone has assured me that that is normal, our weight can change as much as five pounds, with all kinds of things factoring it. Just don't give up!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hmmm, well all that I can say is that I am losing weight by eating more and working out for an hour a day.
    I used to starve and workout for about 30 minutes every other day...and I stayed fat.

I got tired of that and decided to make one last effort to change my body, considering that the only thing in this world that I have absolute control over is what I eat and when/how I workout.
    There was no reason other than me that was keeping me from my goals.

It has taken me 10 months, with some minor setbacks as far as eating goes, but I always chalked that up to being human and kept moving forward....

You can do it, too.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to not see progress - don't give up on yourself! Take it one day at a time. You can do it!!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well all that I can say is that I am losing weight by eating more and working out for an hour a day.
    I used to starve and workout for about 30 minutes every other day...and I stayed fat.

I got tired of that and decided to make one last effort to change my body, considering that the only thing in this world that I have absolute control over is what I eat and when/how I workout.
    There was no reason other than me that was keeping me from my goals.

It has taken me 10 months, with some minor setbacks as far as eating goes, but I always chalked that up to being human and kept moving forward....

You can do it, too.

It's a long term commitment. If you're hungry, it means you're not eating enough. And if you're out of calories, you may be eating the wrong things.

Try to trade out foods for fresh veggies and lean meats and low-fat cheeses. These things fill you up without killing your calories!

You can do this! and with just 14 pounds to lose, it will be a bit slower than those with more to lose.

Starving is actually going to make you fail. And lead to a bad relaitonship with food.

:flowerforyou: Chin up! You have this!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Also, how many calories are you consuming a day? If you're trying to loose too quickely, you're shooting yourself in the foot. :ohwell:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You don't have to starve. Maybe set you goals to less a week. You don't have much to lose so maybe 1/2 pound a week would be a good goal. Also fill up on low calorie snacks instead of eating high calorie food. You can eat tons of food if you choose the right food.
  • andlofly
    andlofly Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Wow, no wonder you are discouraged. You certainly aren't being very sympathetic to yourself... I'm sure you can think of at least one thing you did right today... if not, I can tell you one... going to your computer to post to get support. Stop beating yourself up. That's not going to get you anywhere!!! Give yourself credit for the things that you did right today... it will help you get back to a positive frame of mind. Then recommit to your "lifestyle plan" right here and now. You can do it... keep looking forward... let go of the negative.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale out the window. It doesn't always say what we want, but that doesn't mean we're not making any progress. Pay attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit. If you are strength training, you may gain a few pounds before you start to lose. no biggie....for every pund of muscle you put on, you burn about 50 more calories per day. :wink:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Just keep on track and going forward!

You can copy my plan if you wish???

Forget logging your gains! I will sometimes bump up and that gets so upsetting, so I stopped logging the ups, and I only type in my down days. I have no set weigh ins and this is much less stressful for me. Since I don't push myself for a set weigh in day, I can weigh without feeling guilty if I go up a few or down a few pounds. I just see a number now, and think, hu...eat lighter tomorrow and stay on track.

Anyway, just keep up your hard work and take the good days with the bad! I had about 30 days of no loss, but tried on clothes and WOW! I had completely gone through a few clothing sizes and never knew!

YOU CAN DO IT! :drinker:
  • zaza54
    Options
    Thank you , thank you all. I do feel better. I have to admit part of it is because I did indulge - a small amount of New England clam chowder and a tiny piece of my son's leftover birthday cake. Bad choices I know, but i did limit the amounts.
    I do appreciate all of your comments and encouragement and I am much more receptive now to doing what I need to do. I just have to accept that the 1200 calorie limit is the way it is for my size (small-boned 5'4") and age (54). According to my goals, if I eat 1200 calories a day I won't even lose a full pound per week. I don't care if it takes 2 weeks to lose a pound - I just don't want to gain and it is SO hard to stay even let alone lose weight. And, until I lose some weight, I have fewer things to wear that are comfortable and don't look awful,which means more crankiness.
    But enough negativity. I think the suggestion to substitute food is excellent advice. I need to come up with healthy and lo-cal alternatives that are satisfying and readily available. Then maybe I won't always be so hungry. I am open to suggestions.
    Again, THANK YOU all so much for your patience and support. Much appreciated!!!!!
  • zaza54
    Options
    Princess, I like your idea too. I think positive reinforcement is very helpful. Conversely, seeing weight gain is very discouraging. I'm going to follow your example and try only logging in weights that are the same or show loss so I will encourage myself to do better. Thanks to you and the others for taking the time to write in and help me.:flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Maybe it is time to switch it up. If you are not exercising start.
    Are you eating enough? If you are hungry you might not be.
    Are you eating protein? It will help you to stay full longer.

I am trying to maintain my weight. When I was trying to lose I made the mistake of eating to little. I went for a couple of months and could not drop a lb and keep it off. I did a weight loss BMR calculator and found that with the exercise I was doing 1200 cal. was not enough food for a day. It never felt like enough either. I was hungry, tired, crabby.

What others have suggested about making your food choices count is good to. That includes the times you are going to have cake. For me I know I can't go forever without it so I don't try. What I do though is only eat it if I know it is homemade from scratch. For me store cakes or cakes from boxes don't taste good enough to waste calories on. Same goes for cookies....
    I have also trained myself to eat up to 6 dark chocolate kisses a day. The serving size is 9 - 180 cal. so for 6 that's 120 cal. I spread them out through out the day. I don't always eat 6, sometimes I don't eat any. But I know I can have up to 6 and that makes me very happy! and never feeling deprived.

I exercise 5 days a week. MWF is 3mi run/walk with 15 min. of upper body weights.
    Tu & TH a 2.5 mi walk and a 20 min pilates video.

You can get these extra pounds off and keep them off. But remember it can't be a diet and then go back to your old ways. It has to be a lifestyle change. You don't have much to lose so don't do anything you are not willing to do longterm.

Kelly
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Maybe it is time to switch it up. If you are not exercising start.
    Are you eating enough? If you are hungry you might not be.
    Are you eating protein? It will help you to stay full longer.

I am trying to maintain my weight. When I was trying to lose I made the mistake of eating to little. I went for a couple of months and could not drop a lb and keep it off. I did a weight loss BMR calculator and found that with the exercise I was doing 1200 cal. was not enough food for a day. It never felt like enough either. I was hungry, tired, crabby.

What others have suggested about making your food choices count is good to. That includes the times you are going to have cake. For me I know I can't go forever without it so I don't try. What I do though is only eat it if I know it is homemade from scratch. For me store cakes or cakes from boxes don't taste good enough to waste calories on. Same goes for cookies....
    I have also trained myself to eat up to 6 dark chocolate kisses a day. The serving size is 9 - 180 cal. so for 6 that's 120 cal. I spread them out through out the day. I don't always eat 6, sometimes I don't eat any. But I know I can have up to 6 and that makes me very happy! and never feeling deprived.

I exercise 5 days a week. MWF is 3mi run/walk with 15 min. of upper body weights.
    Tu & TH a 2.5 mi walk and a 20 min pilates video.

You can get these extra pounds off and keep them off. But remember it can't be a diet and then go back to your old ways. It has to be a lifestyle change. You don't have much to lose so don't do anything you are not willing to do longterm.

Kelly

WOW Kelly...what an awesome reply post....it did me good to read this as well.... I like the idea of you telling yourself....you're allowed treats each day.... I think it really does seem to help when we DON'T SAY NO to ourselves.. Doesn't mean we will eat that treat but knowing nothing is taboo makes it a real lifestyle change and not a diet like the times past for us all.

YOU ROCK...so glad you shared on zaza's thread....

ALL of you had great ideas for her:flowerforyou:

Zaza......another idea if you're not already doing it..... perhaps change up a bit and eat 5-6 mini meals a day....that's eating every few hours....and as someone suggested getting in the protein/fat can really sustain a person for much longer!

Say an apple and a small handful of raw almonds OR cashew butter or PB on bread....things such as this will help you not feel deprived......you body will love you for it.

YOU SO deserve to not be hungry.....also like someone shared.....it's a lifestyle change...NOT A DIET where you should EVER feel deprived!

Best of luck to you......

you took a great step in jumpin on the computer to share the tough times...YAY for you:flowerforyou:

Love to have you post back on how it goes if you decide to make some changes....
  • zaza54
    Options
    Hi again-
    FitnessChick - I am blown away by the progress on your ticker. It is inspiring. I just did 35 minutes on the elliptical so I'm feeling better. I do exercise several times a week and I usually eat something every few hours. Yesterday and today got away from me and then I got over hungry. (I had to fast yesterday morning before blood work and then was running to appointments - I lost track of time today too). So, I'll keep all your words of wisdom in mind and try to take a deep breath and put all this in perspective. I'm also thinking a nutrionist would be a good idea to improve eating habits, eg the protein that someone suggested, and I need more calcium for osteopenia, etc.
    So, thank you all for your support. I really do feel much better and encouraged, supported and motivated.:happy: