Yom Kippur

Options
So Yom Kippur begins at sundown tomorrow...and I'm supposed to fast for 26 hours...no food or drink....

I'm scurred! lol

Replies

• Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    So Yom Kippur begins at sundown tomorrow...and I'm supposed to fast for 26 hours...no food or drink....

I'm scurred! lol
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'd be terrified, I guess I don't know how motivated I'd be right now to fast for 26 hours, but if I were Jewish I'm sure that religious component would help me through it....what is Yom Kippur?
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

I'm scurred! lol

Well, you did say you were known for eating only 3 times a week, right? LOL Good luck girlie! I'd pig out until midnight, sleep through the entire day and wake up to eat when the alarm sounds. Errrrr....But then I've been feeling out of it lately, I'm a wreck.

Good luck!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine baby! Hugz! :flowerforyou: But I would watch the exercise regimen, and not do anything too strenuous.
    Here's what Wikipedia has to say: Hebrew: יוֹם כִּפּוּר‎, IPA: [ˈjɔm kiˈpur]), also known in English as the Day of Atonement, is the most solemn and important of the Jewish holidays. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jews the world over traditionally observe this holy day with a 25-hour period of fasting and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services.

Yom Kippur is the tenth and final day of the Ten Days of Repentance which begin with Rosh Hashanah. According to Jewish tradition, God inscribes each person's fate for the coming year into a "book" on Rosh Hashanah and waits until Yom Kippur to "seal" the verdict. During the Ten Days of Repentance, a Jew tries to amend his behavior and seek forgiveness for wrongs done against God (bein adam leMakom) and against his fellow man (bein adam lechavero). The evening and day of Yom Kippur are set aside for public and private petitions and confessions of guilt (Vidui). At the end of Yom Kippur, one considers himself absolved by God.

...there are more paragraphs, but you get the idea.
  • carak2000
    Options
    I'm with you, Mufasa - I am not motivated to fast, but Mich, you are right, the religious component adds to it.

Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement. We just had Rosh Hashana, which is the Jewish New Year and we're supposed to take the 10 days in between and apologize to everyone in our lives for anything we may have done to them over the last year and ask their forgiveness. Likewise, we are supposed to forgive others for anything they may have done to us over the last year. Anyway, Yom Kippur is the culmination of all of this where we spend the entire day in synagogue repenting for our sins and hoping that God will forgive us and still write in the "Book of Life." A lot of the liturgy for the day is actually pretty morbid, about punishments for sins and what not. The point of the fasting is that we're not supposed to focused on food, but only on praying to God and atoning for our sins on this day. For me, being hungry takes my mind off God and atoning, but whatever.....

I think that was more than you bargained for in an explanation, but oh well!
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    HAhAHA thanks peeps for giving the definition! Rosh Hashanah I did well on... except I ate the whole bag of sliced apples at work lol...but that was fine... i stayed within my limit...

Yeah I do have issues already eating...but dang I can't drink anything thats the hard part...

Im not so worried about the actual fasting part because I have done it before...I guess more or less that I can't drink anything and I will have to go to work (yeah it sucks..boo) and and if it will throw me for a loop on my weight loss...oh yeah and the lack of fellowship with my family... they are all in TX...

Oh well I will be aight...I always am lol

Today is my official weigh day...gotta check that out tonight and then update my stats on here...mwuahaha wish me luck!
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    Hi Y'all
    Gee, I forgot about the High Holidays this year, they're here so early--(the Jewish calendar is different from the calendar we use). the Roman calendar is a solar calendar, while the Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar.

If I hadn't read this post I would have missed it.
    This is the time of year, also, when it is the custom to wish your friends and relatives, "I wish you a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year, and May (may it be GOD'S WILL) you be inscribed in the BOOK OF LIFE !" So, to all my friends here at MFP I wish you a sweet year.

It is interesting to note,also, that any person who is infirm or has a medical health problem/condition is not permitted to fast, as it would be considered injurious to their health, i.e. a diabetic, for instance, or anyone who is sick.

:flowerforyou:
    greenie