Logging Couch to 5K

Options
I was wondering how other people are logging their C25K runs. I walk to the local park 1.75 miles then start the 30 minutes of walking and running. I usually walk a mile or two afterwards before walking the 1.75 miles back to my house.

I just averaged the amount I traveled over the interval and averaged the MPH and logged it rounded down. Will it make that much of a difference if I separate everything?

30 minutes walking at 4 mph
1 miinute running at 6 mph
1.5 minutes walking at 3 mph
1 minute running at 6 mph
etc...
etc...
40 minutes walking at 4 mph

It would probably take me forever to log all of that and I'm not sure how big of a difference it would make anyways. Just wanted to know what other people have done.

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend a HRM (heart rate monitor) otherwise it is virtually impossible to accurately record your cals burned. It can be anywhere from 250-450 cals per workout depending on speed and terrain.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i use an HRM and find that i burn about 100 calories per 10 minutes when all is said and done.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As I have mentioned on similar posts (as I am doing C25K as well), I track my walks/runs on my phone via Enodomondo. While it doesn't record HR, it does record miles, distance, calories burned, etc. And gives me a steady ballpark estimate of what I am doing for C25K.

When I save up my pennies, I will buy a HRM. Until then, Endomondo works for me.

Good luck!
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a stopwatch on my phone. I start it w/my walk, and end it when I am done. Then, I subtract the minutes I ran, and record what is left as walking. Record the run as 5 mph, which might be a little high, but I run on hills, so I figure it balances it out. I am too cheap to invest in a HRM, and I don't want to wear it when I'm running.
  • macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't have any money to use on a HRM and won't have money for one anytime in the near future. I guess the best thing I can do is just not eat back any of my exercise calories and just take them as extra losses.
  • BobsySpud
    BobsySpud Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would also highly recommend investing in a Heart Rate Monitor. But in the meantime, if you have an Android phone with GPS, RunKeeper is quite good and I have found it's calorie estimate pretty much matches my HRM figures.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't have any money to use on a HRM and won't have money for one anytime in the near future. I guess the best thing I can do is just not eat back any of my exercise calories and just take them as extra losses.

If you have a smartphone, android phone, etc., download a free program that will keep track for you. I just listed Endomondo-- www.endomondo.com- but others have used Runkeeper. Simple free apps on your phone that correlate to the free websites.

It's a free alternative that has def. worked for me.
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too add extra to the C25K I have been logging everything using RunKeeper.com I use a HRM as well but runkeeper will estimate calories burned for you. Surprisingly they are lower than my HRM.

Edited to add - you don't need a smart phone to use RunKeeper although it is a nice app to have.
  • macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't own a cellphone. No way I could pay for it.
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just keep track of how long it takes me and what my average speed was and log it like that.
  • mlweaver89
    mlweaver89 Posts: 35
    Options
    I just run on a treadmill. It does the counting for me. >__<
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just run on a treadmill. It does the counting for me. >__<

problem with this is that the treadmills often are 100-200 cals off....
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    There's a version of the C25K on the treadmill that goes by time. Just google it and it should give you a good version. No phone or HRM required. Good luck - you can do it.