Sodium

Options
Although I've been eating low calories and low fat I somehow am still getting WAY too much sodium. I try to eat fresh foods as much as possible, but sometimes it's not an option. Any suggestions on some low sodium foods, snacks and dressings? I feel that I'm retaining too much water and the weight is not coming off as fast as I'd like. Thank you!

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,006 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: stay away from dressings, sauces, and anything that comes in a package and cut back on bread and cheese and you'll avoid the problems with sodium :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: you can avoid these things with some good planning.:bigsmile:
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Low sodium breakfast foods include: Shredded Wheat cereals, Oatmeal, & Grits. For snacks: Raisins, dried apricots & mangos, & of course fresh fruits are low in sodium. As far as salad dressings go, I use Ken's Light Options Raspberry Walnut. It only has 180 mg of sodium per 2 tbsp serving. I know that isn't too low but compared to others I've used, that is one of the lowest sodium dressings I've found. If you like hot sauce, Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce is really good & w/ only 105 mg of sodium.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue every freaking day! It's very frustrating because when you choose low cal foods, they are high in sodium!! Example: 1 slice of low fat processed cheese is 35 cals but 310mg in sodium.

I check the sodium content in all foods when I'm shopping and try not to buy things that have too much.

I also read on one of the forums that getting too little sodium can make you light headed and dizzy. I had that happen for about a week when I cut back too drastically. You have to be careful for that one as well!

I look forward to seeing what others have to say so that I can learn as well. :)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sometimes choosing the "real version" of something but in a lower portion cuts some of the sodium. One thing I will never substitute is cheese. Low fat cheese has way more sodium then full that,and doesn't even taste as good!
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem as first. Really watch your sodium in pasta sauces. Diet food are the worst. You can find a lot of sodium free or low sodium foods. I love cheese so I really limit that. I make pizzas off of low carb pitas with low sodium. Eat nuts without salt. Pasta usually has zero to 20 in it. Just add a tsp per serving. Oil does not have sodium so add basil and other ingredients to add flavors. Basmic is good for flavor and has 5 per serving. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • adoreclaire
    Options
    Me too! A good idea if your going to have like sauces and stuff is making your own, doesn't really take too long either, and you see exactly what goes into it and how much sodium.

Also, maybe the serving size you are getting, break it in half? To get less sodium?