Help...Hair Issues..I think it might be due to my change in

Options
HELP!!I washed my hair and starting twisting my hair afterward.....it felt stringy and was breaking easy.....Im confused....I have been taking care of it....WTH happened??? I think it might be due to my change in diet!!!

Replies

• foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try taking Fish Oil supplements or eating more fish if you like it. Omega 3's are great for hair, skin, and nails!
  • nctj
    nctj Posts: 36
    Options
    I did a low carb diet a few years ago, lost over 70lbs and it wasn't long before i started losing my hair..I had NO eyelashes left..I wasn't getting enough vitamins. I don't know if you're watching carbs or not but either way you may need some kind of supplement.
  • Luvlee85
    Luvlee85 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to deep condition(maybe a hot oil treatment), put some conditioner on it and a cap and go have a seat and watch a movie. It could be drying itself out.

**Don't forget to drink lost of water, it's really good for the hair!!!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hair loss usually means not enough vitamin b
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A lot of times you will get hairloss with losing weight too fast. I have watched several of the nurses taking phentermine, lose weight fast and have thinning at the temples. Monitor your diet and make sure you are taking a good mulit-vitamin.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi, I am a hairdresser. You hair is already "out" of your body so the things you eat (or don't eat) do not directly affect the quality of the hair that has grown past the scalp already, because hair is "dead" once it exits the follicle. The only 2 things diet or vitamins affect are natural oils that the scalp produces and spread down and throughout the hair shafts, and the quality of hair "inside" the skin (follicle). If you are eating balanced food make sure you take a vitamin and either fish oil or flaxseed oil (i prefer flax because the fish can make you taste fish all day!).
    Other reasons you could be dry are washing it more often (are you working out and washing your hair more frequently?) or just less oil production from a dietary change, which should be temporary. People who are starving can lose their hair but that is only in very extreme cases of starvation. Alot of my clients shed alot of hair and have very dry hair after giving birth. This is due to a change in diet, hormones and stress. All of these things can happen when you are dieting, also. Just take good care of your hair, take vitamins and an oil supllement, and make sure you are eating enough calories each day. You might just need to lay off the harsh styling products and tools for a couple of weeks while your body and hormones get used to your new diet. I have recommended to clients to rub olive oil into their hair at night and wash it out in the a.m. for a really hydrating treatment. It is similar to the natural oils hair wants from your own head.
    Hope this helps! :)
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    When you say going natural, I understand you're talking about no relaxers/perms. But are you still using a good oil? Also, pick up a bottle of Biotin supplements. If you can swing it, look for Keraphixx by Nexxus.($12appx) Great conditioning treatment that will really help while you're going through "hair transition"!!