cheat days or diet derailer?!?

Options
So today's my birthday and while I have declined an offer to have homemade fried chicken and mashed potatoes (my fav) for dinner, I refuse to deny myself cake. I will eat cake, guilt free...it's worth it to me : ) And no...it won't be a tiny little piece. I don't see the point of that.

I typically don't allow myself cheat days because it ends up taking me several days to get back on track. I do allow cheat meals every once in a while, special occasions that sort of thing; but not that often. So..... what are your thoughts? Are cheat days a good idea or are they a diet derail-er?

Replies

• healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I personally have a cheat day every week, Friday. i weigh in the morning and if it a good weight it's a cheat day. I mean I dont go to a buffet for three meals but I eat whatever I want and just log it. I also dont typically workout that day. So far that one day hasnt derailed me, I still continue to lose about 1.8 pounds a week. But thats just me.
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ps. Happy Birthday!!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I allow a cheat day once a week where I can eat maintenance cals instead of "lose weight" cals..... (For me an extra 500 cals) I figure even at maintenance cals, I can't gain any weight and I get a treat!! And actually that one day of maintenance calories usually helps the scale move downward.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    i have a "cheatmeal" once a week...usually on Saturday because I am with my boyfriend all day and we are usually busy doing stuff so I just give and say "lets get some Thai" or "lets get a pizza" I don't over do it, but I do, do it. I think it helps...makes it so i don't feel like i am missing out on some of my favorite foods. Gotta treat yourself everyone once in a while.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. I have a cheat day every week and eat what I want. I also try to stay at the food range to maintain what I want to weigh down the road. That gives me an extra 500 or 600 cals for that day.

I've also checked out zig zag dieting and think that it might be working with having the cheat day. That way, you body isn't getting used to the constant deficit because it gets a boost once a week. I'm completely on track for my weight loss so far! :)

And happy birthday!!! Have some cake for all of us! lol
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week to go over and not care. MFP already gives me a 750 calorie deficit so as long asi don't exceed that I'm fine. I also don't usually exercise on cheat days, or as I call them living days. We are making lifestyle changes here and have to be able to sustain these habits after we reach our goals so I think it's the healthier way to approach weight loss.
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    Enjoy YOUR cake. Happy birthday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This thread is really encouraging! Yesterday on my way home from work my husband asked me if I wanted to meet him for dinner and when I ordered I just ordered what I wanted to eat...and completely splurged. But I did well during the week, and now I vow to be better this weekend, so that will make only 1 cheat day this week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and enjoy the cake! :)

Since I hit my major goal, I've been eating for a half pound loss Mon-Fri, and playing it by ear on weekends, eating whatever I want. Not binging, but certainly not avoiding anything, either. And I'm still losing my half pound a week.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think we have the same mind set. I do allow cheats once in a while but whole days, not worth it.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat meal is OK and it can stop you from cravings or a binger. My cheat meal is beer, on the weekends I allow myself a total of 2 beers. Before I would have a beer a night and I have cut back to 2 a week which is huge for me. Other wise I try to make healthy decisions for meals and I may have seconds once a week if I made something delicious.
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Eat a huge piece of cake!!!!!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ps. Happy Birthday!!

THANK YOU!!!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Eat a huge piece of cake!!!!!

Thank You! I had a corner piece with lots of frosting! I guess tomorrow will have to be a long run day. : ) It was 100% worth it!!!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not having cheat meals (NOT DAYS) is the easiest way to fail at dieting. Enjoy!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    Options
    Thank You everyone! I do think it's important to treat yourself. Whether it's a cheat day, cheat meal, or a giant piece of birthday cake.... it's worth it!
    I had my cake. Proud to say I could only eat 1/2. I feel great I got to enjoy family time. After the cake I made my family go swimming and now we're ready to play the Michael Jackson Wii game. Good Times! :smooched:
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The jury's still out when it comes to cheat days, for me. I think they work well for some people, but so far I haven't decided. When I lost my first chunk of weight (about 30lbs), I never had cheat days and didn't even think to do it, and did quite well.

This time around, I'm dealing with weekly potlucks on Wednesday nights with a group of friends, and I'm finding it hard to keep my food level down. The food is usually decently healthy, but it's the snacking before we start eating that derails me. I end up eating a lot more than I intended and feel like crap about it when I get home. Working on it, though. Trying to keep a glass of water in my hand at all times and taking a drink when I feel like picking up some food, to keep myself from snacking until we actually sit down.

My normal tracking days are usually pretty good and I don't feel like I'm missing anything, which is probably why I feel so bad whenever I end up overeating on Wednesday nights. Add to the fact that I don't get a workout in on Wednesdays, and there you go.

That said, some people do really well with cheat days. But they're not for everyone, obviously. :smile: