DON'T lose weight too fast! Don't be a Diet Noob

Options
2»

Replies

• lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    While I agree that losing weight successfully is about a lifestyle change and not seeing it as a diet, it’s about making wise choices that you can live with forever HOWEVER for all the people that criticise people that loose more than 2lbs a week please think before you comment.

I started on the 4th May and to date have lost 28lbs that’s an average of 4lbs a week. (and that included a week on holiday in Spain where we ate drank and made merry, while continuing to make some wise choices) I had over 170lbs to lose and spoke to my Dr before starting. He recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, count my exercise calories but only eat them if I was hungry. Reduce salt, increase lean protein and limit refined carbs. I have committed to a personal trainer (words cannot express how great he is) I swim 4 times a week go to the gym 3 times a week and walk a lot more now. I have been seeing a psychologist to look at my relationship with food and this has been so so helpful.

I know 4lbs a week will not continue and won’t be disappointed when it slows but I like many have been criticised for being ‘fat’ and not losing weight for a very long time so please please don’t add to this.......

“Rant over.....”

Lucy
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You have to keep in account that while the 2lbs MAX a week is recommended people who start out larger lose a lot more a month. I know in the beginning i dropped over 12 lbs the first month though probably was mostly water weight. I also started out at 401 lbs on 3/31 and now weigh 355lbs i have dropped 46 lbs already so i am generally dropping 3-4lbs a week.
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Would if your following MFP really good and your still losing more then 2pds a week? I Just started as of Sept 1st and am down 10 pounds. The only lifestyle change I have made is to walk more instead of sitting in my car while at work and stop drinking soda.What I eat food wise is the same, its always been. I do not starve myself and maybe it will slow down but now this post has me worried about losing it all only to gain it back.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging 15-20lbs/month for the past 2.5 months, currently down around 47lbs since 7/18. I started at 393lbs and have dropped down to right at 345lbs. If I'm content to lose 1-2lbs/month, it would take me half a decade to lose what I want to lose.

I think weight loss is a lot about perspective and goals, it's not about losing to fast or too slow, it's about what you're comfortable with and staying healthy while still making the changes you need to drop the pounds.