scared to stop losing weight after reaching goal.

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Hey everyone :)

5'2'', medium frame.
Starting Weight on MFP: 139
Original Goal Weight: 125
Current Weight: 122
*wanting to change goal weight to 115, but don't think I should.

Yay, I basically met my original goal and I am excited to be back to my 'normal' weight for me. But..... I feel like no matter what weight I am, I am just always obsessed with losing or still wanting to lose/resist going to maintenance. I try to keep telling myself the numbers don't matter and it's just important that I am healthy now..and to just focus on maintaining and toning now.... but can't get out of the "lose weight" mindset.

I have struggled with an unhealthy attitude towards food/weight/exercise in the past and don't want to go in that direction again! I found MFP in March, and it has helped me keep a healthy eating mindset - not starving or over exercising! Which is great, but why do I keep wanting to losssseeeee??

***Just wondering who else feels the same way?***

Replies

• kathy1117
    kathy1117 Posts: 27
    Options
    i do! theres always been issues w my weight. not about losin weight but more of a fear of gaining weight. im 5 feet tall, so u knw how it is , every lb is noticable. my smallest was 102 lbs, i did not look healthy. but 4 some strange reason, i like bein skinny not "healthy lookin". my goal was 2 weigh 112( i weighed 125), then i met that goal, and changed it 2 110, now im 107 and my goal is 105. WHY, idk? whn i reach 105, im afraid ill wanna lose more and say" oh whats a few more lbs, might as well hit 100lbs" idk, i dont get it.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have had some of these same thoughts. I think part of it is being scared that going on maintenence might actually make me gain. Do you have any before pics? That always helps me. Sometimes I don't feel like I've changed that much or that I really look much better than I ever have. When I look at old pictures of myself I realize how far I've come, and it helps. :-)
  • sarah307
    Options
    I have had some of these same thoughts. I think part of it is being scared that going on maintenence might actually make me gain. Do you have any before pics? That always helps me. Sometimes I don't feel like I've changed that much or that I really look much better than I ever have. When I look at old pictures of myself I realize how far I've come, and it helps. :-)

you can add me as a friend and i have before/after pics on my profile
  • sarah307
    Options
    i do! theres always been issues w my weight. not about losin weight but more of a fear of gaining weight. im 5 feet tall, so u knw how it is , every lb is noticable. my smallest was 102 lbs, i did not look healthy. but 4 some strange reason, i like bein skinny not "healthy lookin". my goal was 2 weigh 112( i weighed 125), then i met that goal, and changed it 2 110, now im 107 and my goal is 105. WHY, idk? whn i reach 105, im afraid ill wanna lose more and say" oh whats a few more lbs, might as well hit 100lbs" idk, i dont get it.

**SAME**
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    isn't the "lowest" you can go and still be at a healthy BMI like 105? Maybe your origional goal was to get back to what used to be a normal weight for you, but maybe that weight is not the weight you really want to weigh? Maybe when you used to be 125-130 you used to want to lose weight or be thinner, but you never did.
    I don't know that's the case with me. I could say my goal weight was 130-135 because that's how much I used to weigh, but even back "then" i used to think I was not at an ideal weight.
    I don't know if that makes any sense.

I think what you should do is stand in front of the mirror and REALLY take a good look at yourself and just really analyze if you are happy at your weight or not. If you are unhappy, then lose more! JUST REMEMBER 105 (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/) is playing with fire.... and by the time you weigh that much, you probably wont want to lose anymore.

For me, I always change my goal in my head, but deep down I know I can always get down to 120 if I still don't like 125! Just set mini goals, but never forget that UNDERWEIGHT number... very important
  • sarah307
    Options
    awesome ! thank you !
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm doing the exact same thing....good to know I'm not alone in that! i do feel its a fear of gaining weight back if you stop trying to lose it. We are so silly like that aren't we?
  • sarah307
    Options
    haha, i agree.. i do feel silly but at least not the only silly one. lol
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to get out of "lose weight" mode and into "gain strength" mode, which will mean gaining weight.
  • sarah307
    Options
    i like it - think "gain strength.." or maybe focus on changing my mindset to "lose flab, get ab" ! haha
  • hroush
    Options
    i like it - think "gain strength.." or maybe focus on changing my mindset to "lose flab, get ab" ! haha

In a way I'm still in "lose weight" mode as I'm trying to finish off my gut, but my foremost goal is to gain muscle. I have to get over my frugal self and start eating more, especially protein.
  • sarah307
    Options
    same here ! i have been focusing on eating more and more proteins too!
  • hroush
    Options
    Eating all this meat and stuff is fun though! Actually, I'm glad for an excuse to lay off the pastas, breads, etc. Of course, it also means that I have to make two meals as my wife isn't much of a meat eater, but oh well.
  • sarah307
    Options
    lol i do not eat meat that much either ! (don't eat red meats)
    so i know how SHE feels haha :)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you unhappy with the number on the scale or the way your body looks? Losing more weight is not going to get you toned and in shape- remember that.

Going into maintenance is like driving full speed ahead, slamming on brakes, and putting it in reverse.

If you really want to tone up- losing more weight is going to be counterproductive. Losing more weight is going to be the enemy.

It is hard to wrap your mind around but if you want muscle- you need to fuel your body. If you want to change the way your body looks, you need to fuel your body.

If you don't care about that and just want to see a set number on the scale- then lose more... but if I was a betting woman- I don't think that's what you're really after.

Get your head in the game and go after what it is you really want. If you want to tone up and build muscle- start reading anything and everything you can on the subject.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book to start with. I also love bodybuilding.com.

Good luck!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    6'1"
    Started 246
    Current 203
    Frame- Large

Ideal body weight range is between 194-213lbs. I still have some belly fat. Physically i'm VERY strong muscle wise. This site below that i listed takes the average ideal weight for large groups of people and doesnt use the old insurance company based scale that MFP does which states my weight should be between 140-190lbs. MFP calculations fail to take in body frame. The lowest i can see going is 190 for me. Any lower then that and i won't look healthy.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?2,5,2,122,2

You have to think long term we don't eat the same calories every day anyways by nature. Some days we eat more and some days less. The key is a level calorie intake throughout the week. Maintain your healthy weight by knowledge and not a food or body weight scale.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Are you unhappy with the number on the scale or the way your body looks? Losing more weight is not going to get you toned and in shape- remember that.

Going into maintenance is like driving full speed ahead, slamming on brakes, and putting it in reverse.

If you really want to tone up- losing more weight is going to be counterproductive. Losing more weight is going to be the enemy.

It is hard to wrap your mind around but if you want muscle- you need to fuel your body. If you want to change the way your body looks, you need to fuel your body.

If you don't care about that and just want to see a set number on the scale- then lose more... but if I was a betting woman- I don't think that's what you're really after.

Get your head in the game and go after what it is you really want. If you want to tone up and build muscle- start reading anything and everything you can on the subject.

The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book to start with. I also love bodybuilding.com.

Good luck!

this helped me a lot! THANKS
  • sarah307
    Options
    6'1"
    Started 246
    Current 203
    Frame- Large

Ideal body weight range is between 194-213lbs. I still have some belly fat. Physically i'm VERY strong muscle wise. This site below that i listed takes the average ideal weight for large groups of people and doesnt use the old insurance company based scale that MFP does which states my weight should be between 140-190lbs. MFP calculations fail to take in body frame. The lowest i can see going is 190 for me. Any lower then that and i won't look healthy.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?2,5,2,122,2

You have to think long term we don't eat the same calories every day anyways by nature. Some days we eat more and some days less. The key is a level calorie intake throughout the week. Maintain your healthy weight by knowledge and not a food or body weight scale.

you are right! thanks!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    your answer to why you want to keep losing probably is..when you lose weight you feel good about yourself. So the more weight you lose the happier you will be..doesnt work trust me
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You might just enjoy having a goal and working towards it. Seeing progress feels great!

So set some new goals that have nothing to do with the scale. Train to run a 5k, or train for a faster time if you already run. Do the 100 pushups challenge, or set a goal to walk, run, hike, bike or swim XX amount of miles each week or month. Something where you'll continue your path to fitness, but not worry about the scale.