hmpf, Jillian on Biggest Loser

Options
I have to vent!! I LOVE to watch The Biggest Loser while I'm working out! It's funny how it really gives me the incentive to keep going b/c I'm watching these people pour their hearts and souls into it on television. I have to say though... Jillian's tactics of breaking her team down (and maybe hoping to build them back up?? who knows??!) is unnerving to me!! No wonder her team doesn't want to do their 'homework'!! I've RARELY seen her give her teams positive reinforcement. If I had a trainer who yelled at me and treated me that way, I'd say forget you! and be done with it! There's a huge difference between "way to go! You're doing great! Keep pushing yourself" and "I'm going to break your arms off if you don't try harder". :explode:

Maybe it's just the editing... maybe it's the producers who tell her to act that way. Regardless, if she's like this next season also I'm gonna have to stop watching b/c it makes me crazy!!!

Replies

• fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    I have to vent!! I LOVE to watch The Biggest Loser while I'm working out! It's funny how it really gives me the incentive to keep going b/c I'm watching these people pour their hearts and souls into it on television. I have to say though... Jillian's tactics of breaking her team down (and maybe hoping to build them back up?? who knows??!) is unnerving to me!! No wonder her team doesn't want to do their 'homework'!! I've RARELY seen her give her teams positive reinforcement. If I had a trainer who yelled at me and treated me that way, I'd say forget you! and be done with it! There's a huge difference between "way to go! You're doing great! Keep pushing yourself" and "I'm going to break your arms off if you don't try harder". :explode:

Maybe it's just the editing... maybe it's the producers who tell her to act that way. Regardless, if she's like this next season also I'm gonna have to stop watching b/c it makes me crazy!!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    me personally would love to have her as my trainer- As a matter of fact while she was flipping out on them I told my husband i would love to have her as my trainer- I dont need a trainer holding my hand i need one pushing me- You gotta remember these people came on the show to lose weight and win money- They aren't doing there "homework" because of excuses which most likely the reason why they gained so much weight is because of excuses-- If they aren't going to push themselves like they should be then why waste peoples time there are other people that didnt make it on the show who are willing to put in the "homework" thats just my opinion but I love how nasty she is and I love the fact that she kicked Amy out for smirking and it will really hit them home when someone gets the boot if they dont lose the lbs then i bet they will do there homework
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    UGH I KNOW!

I totally agree. It would be so upsetting to me. Does she not remember where those women were 4 weeks ago? I mean, I really understand her frustration with them...she's working hard to help them and they didn't do their "homework" but it constant yelling and screaming isn't a way to bump up the motivation.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    me personally would love to have her as my trainer- As a matter of fact while she was flipping out on them I told my husband i would love to have her as my trainer- I dont need a trainer holding my hand i need one pushing me- You gotta remember these people came on the show to lose weight and win money- They aren't doing there "homework" because of excuses which most likely the reason why they gained so much weight is because of excuses-- If they aren't going to push themselves like they should be then why waste peoples time there are other people that didnt make it on the show who are willing to put in the "homework" thats just my opinion but I love how nasty she is and I love the fact that she kicked Amy out for smirking and it will really hit them home when someone gets the boot if they dont lose the lbs then i bet they will do there homework

I agree! And from having watched prior seasons, what the heck did the contestants expect??? Biggest Loser is no cake walk.
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    I would love her as a trainer too! I think that's really what I need!
  • klohmeyer
    Options
    I could see how Jillian could break someone down and not build them back up, but when I went to my trainer I told her, "I want you to pretend that I am a movie star that has 3 months to get into shape for a movie role that will pay me $20 million." That is the kind of trainer I want. :wink:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I mean, I would want a trainer who kicks my butt until I can't lift myself off the ground, but if that person also came with rage it might not be the best for me.
    I will say though, that if I were on the show, I'd be freaking out and doing my "homework" and some "extra-credit" just to keep her from busting my ear drum....

but it's obviously not really working for them, so she needs to find a way a little more calmly but just as forcefully kick their productivity into shape.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I have to say....I LOVE JILLIAN's style....not saying I'd want to be screamed at....but I'd certainly be motivated once she started screaming at others....I'd start running on that treadmill.

I think she works folks hard because she cares SO MUCH....she knows what it's like to be overweight....and she knows for a great many of these folks that this truly could be their last chance at a healthy lifestyle.

But I like Bob's style too.....I think it's interesting to watch they variety of their styles.

I'm with you.....homework is part of the training there....it's teaching them how they can take it home and do it alone to maintain what they lose.

just my input:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

I agree! And from having watched prior seasons, what the heck did the contestants expect??? Biggest Loser is no cake walk.

:huh: well.....they can walk to the cake....but not eat it!:laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I could see how Jillian could break someone down and not build them back up, but when I went to my trainer I told her, "I want you to pretend that I am a movie star that has 3 months to get into shape for a movie role that will pay me $20 million." That is the kind of trainer I want. :wink:

But we've all seen that softer gentler side of her as well right? I mean like the yellow shirt girl (sorry I have no clue who's name is what) she actually did something a bit special for her to stay motivated.....so I do think she truly DOES care about these folks and is merely trying to kick their butts in to also believing they are worth it!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Great points made by all in this thread.

I like Jillian. Every time I see her, I think "Man! I would SO be like her if I could lose all this weight and be a trainer" :tongue: Then I see that she can be a real softy and she really does care for everyone she's trained. Coleen wasn't the first person she's taken off to the side. Don't forget the younger pink girl, or the purple mom (a purple mom? :laugh:) she also took off to the side. Yeah, she can be really hard, but I would love to have her be my trainer. And maybe she has been nicer this season than in previous seasons...so maybe now she actually needs to step it up and not be such a softy. I agree with LightenUp_Caro when she said:
    ...I will say though, that if I were on the show, I'd be freaking out and doing my "homework" and some "extra-credit" just to keep her from busting my ear drum....

I love Bob too though, He is great! I think I would just get better results with Jillian's style - I can dish it out just as much as she can and if she can take (no doubt that she could), then I could take it from her.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and I had to chyme in here :bigsmile:

Just the other day I was talking to one of my clients about this kind of thing. Not biggest loser in particular, because I don't have TV, but training styles. As a trainer I definitely push. There's no slacking on my watch and no getting off easy. That being said, I am not a yelling and sounding like I'm about to break you if you don't do what I say - I'm the positive motivator that you know will also give you a hug if you need one but when you need to be pushed I'm on it. And there are some trainers I know who are the biggest hard-*kitten* you'd ever meet (though of COURSE they still care! That's why they do what they do!) and some who are total hand-holders. This is why when people go to trainers personally, it's so important to interview people. It's like getting a midwife or health practitioner - you have to find the kind of person who does what YOU need them to. Jillian is a hard-pusher and sounds tough when she's training. Just her style. And of course, it's anyone's choice not to want to watch that :glasses:

I know it's just a light discussion. Just felt like adding my two cents :wink:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the previous posts, I just wanted to say something about The Biggest Loser in particular. I usually don't watch it, but I surfed onto it waiting for the debate last night, and if I was Jillian, I would be just as angry! I would KILL for the chance to have a personal trainer, fully stocked healthy kitchen, and nothing to do but work out all day and lose weight. That would be awesome and if people aren't taking advantage of the opportunity, I would be as angry as she was last night. I understand it's probably hard, but what else do they have to do? Me, every day I have housework, taking care of my son, cooking meals, and the hour I have to exercise is sometimes a stretch! I would love to have unlimited time during the day to work on myself.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    3 words:
    TV
    Entertainment
    Ratings

Jillian was known in the 1st few seasons as the b+++ buster. She softened up in the next season and people complained.

I know she was way over the top, and I really dont care for her to begin with, but it is all about ratings.

Now that being said...These people have nothing to do all day every day but eat right ,with someone else buying their food, and exercise. They came on here knowing full well what it would take, the show didnt just air for the 1st time. They want to change their lives, get off your a== and do it.

How many of us would love to have 3 months of free food, housing, bills paid back home (and dont think they arent haveing help from the show on this) trainers, equipment, doctors, nutritionists, dieticians.............all for free.

So I have said enough. Each season there is a GO tiime. This was the week!