Chinese Food :/

Options
2»

Replies

• jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I so changed the way of eating Chinese food....Now I like to order the Jade chicken~ steamed chicken with all green veggies (grn peppers,broccoli, snap peas) and a pint of brown rice( I eat just half) and brown sauce of the side. I dip the ends of my fork (prongs??) in the sauce then stab the chicken, but I only do it with the chicken not the veggies. soooo goood!! (this is coming from a girl who last month would eat a quart of kung pao chicken with white rice, crab ragoon, ribs and chicken teriyaki sticks with a McD chocolate shake in less than 30 mins~~ then still be hungry! :noway: I cringed thinking about it!!!) Enjoy yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I had beef and broccoli tonight and it was good! lots of veggies in there, so at least its a little balanced out.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    YES!

chicken and broccoli
    shrimp and broccoli
    beef and broccoli
    string beans
    lettuce wraps
    tofu (if you like it)

I'm sure there are other things on the menu that are also better for you, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head. Sometimes they have a "diet" menu, which from what I've seen, consists of the above dishes minus the sauce and seasonings (which I don't know how great that would taste...) Also, I would avoid the rice all together, but if you like it, you should get brown rice.

I personally go for chicken and broccoli, which is about 180 cals per serving (which is believe is 1 cup), though I am pretty sure the shrimp and broccoli has less calories.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    when i do order chinese I get a small steamed chicken with broccoli...i get the brown sauce on the side and I do eat the white rice(some times i finish it and other times i dont)...then at home i mix everything together in a bowl...it is so delish:bigsmile:

THAT is a good idea!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, drink a LOT of water. There is soooo much salt in it.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you type in Chinese in the data base all kind of choices come up even the fried dough.
    My husband and I actually went for Chinese tonight too.
    I only eat the crab legs,shrimp, and clams. Don't really eat the rest of it.
  • Chegei
    Chegei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Broccoli beef is about the best, lemon chicken is also pretty good and vegetable chow mien. Stay away from the fried rice or noodles.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies.. I ended up getting STEAMED chicken and veggies with no sauce and white rice.. The look of the chicken (it was white) threw me off a bit, but it was REALLY good!!
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    I know this answer doesn't help much, but one of my favorite places to eat before my lifestyle change was a Mongolian BBQ and buffet (with sushi bar). Now when I go I get the mongolian BBQ - veggies and sauce ONLY, no meat (because I know veggies are very low cal). Then, I get 8-10 pieces of sushi...or 12 :). Sushi isn't terrible on calories for the most part. Back before my change (6 weeks ago) I would eat 2 plates of fried food, a couple "Chinese donuts" as I call them, plus some sushi and maybe a small bowl of Mongolian. So I probably went from about 2500 calories per visit to about 700.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I know this answer doesn't help much, but one of my favorite places to eat before my lifestyle change was a Mongolian BBQ and buffet (with sushi bar). Now when I go I get the mongolian BBQ - veggies and sauce ONLY, no meat (because I know veggies are very low cal). Then, I get 8-10 pieces of sushi...or 12 :). Sushi isn't terrible on calories for the most part. Back before my change (6 weeks ago) I would eat 2 plates of fried food, a couple "Chinese donuts" as I call them, plus some sushi and maybe a small bowl of Mongolian. So I probably went from about 2500 calories per visit to about 700.

I know what you mean!! I could easily fill and eat 2 whole plates of anything I could fit on it! And that doesn't even count dessert!! I told my hubby NO buffet's I am not ready for that!! LoL
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    they should have a diet menu....last time i ate chinese i had the shrimp w/ steamed broccoli...just watch the sauces!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    No sauce... just steamed veggies and tofu, or a meat. No rice.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a big LOVER of Chinese food, I find its best not to skip the things you really want. Just eat them, forgive yourself tomorrow and make up for it the rest of the week. Sodium is a killer, but not having it will only lead you to trying to replicate that "want" longer than if you had it and moved on.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think you should give something up just because you are trying to lose weight. Everything in moderation. Our chinese is delivery/take out only. When we get home I portion out the meal into three different meals and eat the one serving saving the other two for later.