Exercising every day?

Options
For a while now, I've been waking up early every morning and walking for an hour on the treadmill. It always wakes me up and I feel great for the rest of the day, knowing I've already put in a workout. I'm going to put in more jogging intervals and up my workout, but my main concern is that I'll get burnt out. As it is, I've felt great, but before, I would walk at night and sleep in. The change in my routine has been good so far (about two weeks), but amping it up might make me dread waking up more.

If I skip walking one day, I feel incredibly guilty. I haven't for a while, but when I do, I hate it and I know upping up my work might make me call for more "off days." Do you guys work out every day, and if you miss a day do you feel that same guilt? Is it actually better to have an off day or to keep up your routine daily?

Thanks!

Replies

• Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! I have off weeks. It's something your body needs- to build and recover. Just make sure you don't eat too terribly and love your body! :)
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day everyday.... very occasionaly i will have to skip one, but never both in the same day.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day everyday.... very occasionaly i will have to skip one, but never both in the same day.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My sister and personal trainer have both told me that you should only work out for 6 days a week. Your body needs one day to rest. I was at a plateau in weight loss back in January until I started taking one day off a week from exercise.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is important to me that I do something every day. I may need a break from jogging or circuit training, but at a bare minimum I get my 2 mile walk in.

I am afraid if I have an excuse to stop once, that I will come up with more excuses and more frequent breaks.

8065041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's best to give your body a full day to recover. I took today off of cardio but I did a yoga stretching program that's very low impact and still felt great.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday for several weeks and then take a day off...but usually only because I have something to do that gets in the way. One day is usually a very light workout of a walk. I do full body resistance workouts, but never on back to back days. On the other days I do all cardio and push myself really hard on the elliptical or treadmill. When I do work out all day during the week, the 7th day is usually a lot less intense. If my body is feeling worn out, I take a day off. Just make sure you listen to your body.
  • wishing_well
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I think I'll start upping my workout slowly, doing a more intense workout once or twice a week for a while, and walking the other days - that way, I hopefully won't get burnt out as quickly!!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I workout every day but my routines work different parts of the body and I have different levels of intensity. I mix it up with yoga, strength training, cardio, or just walking. Like other posters, I don't do well planning off days. It stresses me out to add this layer of 'on' and 'off' days and I get really hungry if I don't exercise. Also, if I take a day off, I tend to make excuses for taking additional days off - that is what happened to me in the past and I realized days off hurt more than they helped. Every once in a while, circumstances will prevent me from exercising and since that doesn't happen often, it works as a rest day that I feel I earned rather than an inconvenience that is sabotaging my fitness.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually workout every day (some days 2x) but I do give running a rest -- I can really only run 3x a week (so far).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I exercise (intensely) 3 or 4 days per week depending on my schedule. There's no need to workout every day. Work smarter, not longer.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Taking a day off every now and then HAS to be good for your body... it can use a rest day. Don't stress it.