getting my fruit and veggie servings~

Options
My dietion told me I needed to eat 5 servings of veggies and 4 servings of low-fat diary, but I don't know where to get it from. Any idea how i can get my servings.

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek yogurt gives you 2 of fat free dairy and a fruit. Also, this time of year, grapes, melon, lettuce, tomatoes will all be your friend.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If you arent a veggie person, one can of V8 is 2 servings of veggies. If you dont like that, what about taking some veggies and something to dip them in like cottage cheese!!!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Smoothies? I made a shake yesterday and threw 2 cups of spinach in it and it was fabulous. And low cal. x
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Smoothies? I made a shake yesterday and threw 2 cups of spinach in it and it was fabulous. And low cal. x

Where do you get your recipes? Home brew, or you look some up online?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Did you ask her what she considers "a serving"? Is it a half cup? A cup? Hopefully she gave you some guidelines.

Dairy is really easy for me; I've never met a dairy product that I didn't like! I generally have two non-fat lattes at home in the morning which is 16-20 oz of skim milk. So I'm well on my way in the dairy department before my eyes are fully open!

Other dairy that I eat almost daily:

-Low-fat cheese (the non-fat has no flavor and melts very oddly)
    -Low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
    -Greek yogurt
    -Rarely, half & half in coffee

I don't eat enough fruits and veggies. But I usually throw a cup of berries into smoothies and at least have a big salad (2 cups) with dinner.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If you arent a veggie person, one can of V8 is 2 servings of veggies. If you dont like that, what about taking some veggies and something to dip them in like cottage cheese!!!

Run that cottage cheese through the blender with a couple of your favorite herbs and the dip is YUMMY!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My kids & I love smoothies made in the blender. I buy Dole's Wildly Nutritious fruit mix in the freezer section at Sam's Club and mix it with plain nonfat Greek Yogurt and Vanilla Almond Milk & blend. I keep adding the milk until it's straw consistency.
  • VampireDiaries16
    Options
    How about 5 servings of fruit? What can i eat? And what about the natural sugar in them?
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    You NEED vegetables in your life. What exactly are you eating where you're not getting any vegetables in your diet?
    Its been a huge government campaign in the UK for a few years now to eat 5 a day..its the minimum amount fruit/veggies you should be eating. Somedays I eat more fruit, sometimes more veg, but overall it should be balanced. Natural sugars are ok, but its still better to watch your sugar intake. Potatoes do not count as a vegetable.
    A portion is one of your 5 a day, so about 15 fine green beans, a handful of grapes, one apple, 5 or 6 medium strawberries, 4-5 spears of asparagus, about a 1/4 head of broccoli, a good handful of spinach....
    There are many product which claim to have some of your 5 a day in, but it is better to just eat the fruit and veg in its non processed form.

Your daily intake could go like this
    Breakfast - porridge and an apple.
    Lunch - Tuna and spinach sandwhich, served with grated carrot salad
    Dinner - Steak served with butternut squash and sweet potato mash, with green beans and red pepper browned off in some red pesto.
    Thats 7!
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    yes, OR you could've had a V-8!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How about 5 servings of fruit? What can i eat? And what about the natural sugar in them?

While it's true that there is natural sugar in fruit, it doesn't spike your blood sugar as badly as processed sugar due to the fiber in the fruit, which slows the absorption of the fruit sugar. This is why it is much better to eat the whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juices--you lose the fiber in the juices. Fruits also contain all sorts of phytonutrients! Berries in particular have a lot of fiber in them.
  • RebeccaIngham
    RebeccaIngham Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a smoothie person too. Depending on what kind of blender you have, you can add lots of fruit and veggies to it and make a great smoothie that tastes great. Big salads are good too, but if you aren't much of a veggie person yet, that might be a bit much.

As far as dairy goes, I'm in the camp that believes if you aren't a baby cow, you shouldn't be consuming dairy. I occasionally have a greek yogurt or some cheese, but mainly get my calcium from my food (much like the cow herself does). That's why adding foods, like spinach, to your smoothies or salads is such a great idea, and you can't even really taste it when you put it in there.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Can we assume you aren't a veggie person? If you aren't, try V8 like the others suggested.

If you are a veggie person but are unsure how to fit them into your meals, do what I do :)

(Fruit with breakfast) and raw veggies with morning snack and lunch, then either raw or cooked veggies with dinner. I snack on cucumbers, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower. I also include things like corn (a bit higher in cals though), peas/pea pods, asparagus, lima beans, salads. I just avoid carrots (I can't stand them, LOL!)