Are Pedometers Accurate?

Options
I want to get a pedometer that also tracks calories lost, I want to count the calories I burn while I'm at work or if it's my day off from the gym. Anyone find them accurate?

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this also. I have just bought a pedometer that also does calories. Hoping someone out there has compared it with a HRM. (Saving for next)
  • rhondaredhead
    rhondaredhead Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've done both pedometer and heart rate monitor, and I much prefer the HRM. I find it's much more accurate on calories, and my pedometer was always short on distance when I was running vs. walking. The only thing is, I'm kicking myself for not buying a HRM with a GPS to make it easier to track mileage. I paid about $90 for mine, and for just a bit more (I'm seeing $30-40ish on this site) I probably could have gotten one with both a chest strap and GPS. Next time I will!
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    I would like to know as well.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I would suggest getting a GPS HRM. They are a little pricey, but well worth the extra money. But for it to work inside (the GPS doesn't work inside) you need to get a 'footpod' accessory to count your steps.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've done both pedometer and heart rate monitor, and I much prefer the HRM. I find it's much more accurate on calories, and my pedometer was always short on distance when I was running vs. walking. The only thing is, I'm kicking myself for not buying a HRM with a GPS to make it easier to track mileage. I paid about $90 for mine, and for just a bit more (I'm seeing $30-40ish on this site) I probably could have gotten one with both a chest strap and GPS. Next time I will!

There's a free app for android called cardio trainer that will track your mileage using gps.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I bought a very basic pedometer at Kmart..it measures steps and distance and it's WAAAAAY off. I calibrated it to my stride and everything, but when I took it out on the track to test it, it underestimated by a mile. Good luck finding a good one; let me know if you do!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    bodymedia tracks your calories while you are awake and sleep. It also counts your steps. It tells you if your exercise routine was moderate and/or vigorous and the times for each. It also tracks your sleep so that you can monitor that as well.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline one and it's pretty accurate with my steps, although I have been having to wear it on my lower leg pockets (I like wearing a lot of capris with the extra pocketes and boy shorts) because when I was wearing it on my waist, like it instructed, I notice it was really off.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    2000 steps = 1 mile.

I have a pedometer that I have bought from the Dollar Tree that works just fine. I also wear my pedometer on an area of my body that most people probably don't.

I was looking at a pedometer that also gives calories at Walmart two months ago. I might get one, since it was $7.00 just to do a test. I don't really care about the calories I burn, because no machine can really tell you that. Even HRM be off.