and don't you dare say celery...

Options

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Celery...:wink:

It had to be someone. I'm glad it was you.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes to the boiled egg!
    I also like an apple + quaker granola bar. Together, they are about 200 cal, depending on apple size and if bar is dipped. Also very portable.

Beesareyellow, love your profile pic/ticker pic. The Doctor rules and Torchwood is awesome!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds 150 calories per ounce (about 28 almonds). Protein and takes care of the sweet tooth too!

I LOVE these!

And Vita-tops too... the double chocolate has only 100 calories and NINE grams of fiber!!!
  • katekentlaw
    Options
    Replace your crackers with a few ounces of turkey, and make turkey roll ups with cream cheese in the middle!

Lots of people will write this as a reply, but greek yogurt is one of the best high protein, low calorie snacks out there. It will seriously keep you full for hours, especially if you put a little fruit in it. My boyfriend eats it with pine nuts and honey. I like it with pears, mango, berries, almonds, anything. A cup of it is usually about 140 calories, but you could easily have half a cup of it with a mix-in and be very satisfied.

Since I'm a low glycemic eater, I experiment with flax meal and almond meal. I've made muffins, cakes and cookies out of these materials with splenda instead of sugar, and they make really filling snacks because these kinds of flour substitutes are high in protein and fiber.
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese - love the light swiss at 35 calories a wedge
    Put on Special K whole grain crackers
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Hint of Salt Trisquits and Emerald Chocolate Roasted Almonds.
  • sduralia
    sduralia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen shrimp on hand and will defrost 2-4 ounces then dip them in either sriracha sauce(spicey) or greek yogurt mixed with lemon pepper. Yummy, high in protein, and low in calories.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen shrimp on hand and will defrost 2-4 ounces then dip them in either sriracha sauce(spicey) or greek yogurt mixed with lemon pepper. Yummy, high in protein, and low in calories.

That sounds great! I'll have to try this...
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    awesome suggestions from everyone!! thank you all for the replies!!! i now have lots of new ideas to mix up my menu :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love the Special K multigrain crackers. There are 24 in a serving for 120 ( I think I can't remember exactly but it is close to that) and I eat a wedge of laughing cow with them. It is so good.

I also like string cheese, any kind of fruits, beef jerky (if I haven't had a lot of sodium on other meals) and a tablespoon of peanut butter on half of a toasted thin bun.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips are 27 chips at 110 calories. Cures my chip cravings. :)

Plain greek yogurt with Hidden Valley Harvest Dill dry mix for an awesome low cal veggie dip. Good protein source too.

Omg! That greek yogurt idea is freaking amazing! I'm SO trying that next time when I need to get my dip on.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Special K cracker chips are 27 chips at 110 calories. Cures my chip cravings. :)

Plain greek yogurt with Hidden Valley Harvest Dill dry mix for an awesome low cal veggie dip. Good protein source too.

Omg! That greek yogurt idea is freaking amazing! I'm SO trying that next time when I need to get my dip on.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great suggestions :)
  • LaurenLite
    LaurenLite Posts: 87
    Options
    My secret is taking my favorite things and reducing the portions. My PBJ sandwich is about 62 cals (1 slice of Honey wheat 40 cal bread by natures own, 1/2 tsp or less of peanut butter- I use this verrrry sparingly, just a trace for taste- and 1 tsp of Smuckers reduced sugar jam). This is actually reallly satisfying and I eat it several times a day. I also eat my faaaavorite rice krispie treats (1/4 cup of rice krispies, 0 cal spray butter, 4-5 marshmallows- nuke for 10 seconds = about 33 calories). For my choco ice cream fix, I go for Kemps Chocolate frozen yogurt and I eat 1/4 cup which is 45 cals. I snack on Veggie straws from Whole foods or World Market (38 straws are 130 cals, but don't eat the entire serving, eat 1/2- they really fill you up and they're SOOOO good- I thought they were going to be gross). Carrot sticks dipped in just a tiny bit of honey mustard dip or dressing is satisfying as is a banana (eat 1/2 twice a day to make it go farther)... adding a dallop of whipped cream and some chocolate sprinkles makes this sweet treat about 45 calories (90 for the entire thing).

Just remember: NEVER eat a serving. American servings are SO huge these days, it is not necessary. If you do want to eat an entire serving, count it out, put it in a baggie, and snack on it for more than one snack.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My secret is taking my favorite things and reducing the portions. My PBJ sandwich is about 62 cals (1 slice of Honey wheat 40 cal bread by natures own, 1/2 tsp or less of peanut butter- I use this verrrry sparingly, just a trace for taste- and 1 tsp of Smuckers reduced sugar jam). This is actually reallly satisfying and I eat it several times a day. I also eat my faaaavorite rice krispie treats (1/4 cup of rice krispies, 0 cal spray butter, 4-5 marshmallows- nuke for 10 seconds = about 33 calories). For my choco ice cream fix, I go for Kemps Chocolate frozen yogurt and I eat 1/4 cup which is 45 cals. I snack on Veggie straws from Whole foods or World Market (38 straws are 130 cals, but don't eat the entire serving, eat 1/2- they really fill you up and they're SOOOO good- I thought they were going to be gross). Carrot sticks dipped in just a tiny bit of honey mustard dip or dressing is satisfying as is a banana (eat 1/2 twice a day to make it go farther)... adding a dallop of whipped cream and some chocolate sprinkles makes this sweet treat about 45 calories (90 for the entire thing).

Just remember: NEVER eat a serving. American servings are SO huge these days, it is not necessary. If you do want to eat an entire serving, count it out, put it in a baggie, and snack on it for more than one snack.
    bump
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Salty liquorice at 64cal in a pack, but it takes a whole day to eat a pack.

And any sort of homemade vegetable based dip, which I eat with carrot sticks usually, not celery.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Hardboiled egg
    -Hummus on veggies as a dip
    -Cottage cheese (I usually stir in a dab of pesto for flavor)
    -Protein powder smoothie
    -Chicken breast
    -Ounce of almonds or 2T almond butter
    -Soy sausage patty
    -Edamame
  • ElizabethRN59
    ElizabethRN59 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    awesome suggestions! BUMP
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options