EATING WAY TOO FEW CALORIES- WHAT TO DO?

Options
Hey,
SO for the last couple of months I have been dieting and not eating that much so my appetite has naturally shrunk. Now I eat 5 meals a day but I am only eating 500 calories a day.... which i know is way to little. I feel so full though. For breakfast I usually have like a half a cup of oatmeal with some sort of fruit on the side. For lunch I usually have something like a fourth a cup of tuna, a yogurt and a vegi. For dinner its always different but usually like a serving of meat and two servings of vegis. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to eat more calories but stay healthy?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would say slowly up up your portion sizes. Perhaps add glass or two of milk in a day. Maybe a piece of bread with dinner?
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    add a few healthy snacks in between meals.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

As for how to increase cals in a healthy way:

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    That's awful. Just eat more. Seriously. That's all there is to it. You should be getting three times what you are now.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Cheese! Is the answer cheese?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    That's awful. Just eat more. Seriously. That's all there is to it. You should be getting three times what you are now.

• JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nuts.

As in, cashews, peanuts, almonds, walnuts.

OK, they're high in fat but its good fat. A small - easily edible - portion can be jam packed with calories and goodness. An easy way of gettin gyour body used to dealing with more calories.

Seeds (pumpkin, pine, seasame) are the same. Chuck in some dried fruit and yogurt to make a meal of it.
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    Wow thank you so much..... the first link is very touching and ya i am going to increase my calories :)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you dont eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will drop and you wont lose any weight. Just eating only 500 calories per day sounds unhealthy. I was told eat every 3 hours, 5 meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner under 500 calories or less and the snacks under 300 calories. This way youre keeping your metabolism up and youre energy
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

Wow, it's so easy to spot the snarky ones here.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options

yesss!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    There may good reasons why you're not hungry.... how long have you been eating so few calories? And do you exercise regularly and get enough sleep? Exercising might help you get your metabolism going and make you hungrier.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Ah a girl after my heart! Any way u agree add in a few healthy snacks my favorites are blue diamond smoke house almonds or sine chicken jerky maybe sine wasabi dried peas
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Yes, please try to start eating more. You may be losing weight but it is not healthy. I understand it is difficult if you're not hungry but like others mentioned try and add some more food to your meal (slowly) and also adding snacks. Nuts, seeds, peanut butter, dried fruit, cheese. All can add alot of calories but not overly filling.

Good Luck!
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Wow, it's so easy to spot the snarky ones here.

Meh, someone's gotta be the realist in a sea of sugar-coaters. :drinker:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

EDITED TO ADD: I actually take back the snark in this instance. Turns out OP is brand spankin' new. I thought she'd been here since January and was purposely under eating despite knowing better. Sent her an apology for being a butthead via PM. I know when I'm wrong and this is one of those times. Welcome again, OP. Glad you're getting healthier. ;)

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Edited by moderator

Encouraging someone to continue eating a dangerously low volume of food is just unconscionable. First off vitamins are not a healthy way to get your nutrients. They are at best an attempt to fill the gaps missed in your diet. But the fact is the best way to get your vitamins and other nutrients is from healthy food sources. Not to mention other bad side effects such extreme calorie restriction such as muscle loss, hair loss and depression.

In general calorie restriction is best only if you do not exercise. Otherwise, your body is better off eating your MBR and letting your exercise and daily activity be your deficit. Food is not the enemy. Indulgence and sloth is.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Edited by moderator

Encouraging someone to continue eating a dangerously low volume of food is just unconscionable. First off vitamins are not a healthy way to get your nutrients. They are at best an attempt to fill the gaps missed in your diet. But the fact is the best way to get your vitamins and other nutrients is from healthy food sources. Not to mention other bad side effects such extreme calorie restriction such as muscle loss, hair loss and depression.

In general calorie restriction is best only if you do not exercise. Otherwise, your body is better off eating your MBR and letting your exercise and daily activity be your deficit. Food is not the enemy. Indulgence and sloth is.

:drinker:
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ladyhawk. Try full fat cheese and whole grain crackers, Lima beans, peanut butter on your apples or bananas. Regular whole grain bread instead of light, extra ounces of protein, almonds or pistachios...lots of healthy ways to get those calories in. Eat more, lose more!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Are you working out at all? I find that when I exercise I am ravenous. other than that I agree with the poster who said just try and slowly add some more food to your meals. Perhaps adding 2 small snacks a day to what you are regularly eating. Also that poster who stated that's what vitamins are for. Rubbish! You want to eat healthy enough that you are getting your nutrients from proper food sources. That's the healthiest way to live.