HRM calories lower that machine is on the AVG ( first time u

Options
My wife used her HRM today and it was 100calories under what her usual workout for 30 mins on the cybex arc trainer is . We both were shocked at this because you enter your weight on the machine unlike other cross trainers.
Has anyone had this happen when using their HRM. I'm guessing go with the HRM is the more sure thing.

Let us know!!

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I go only by what my HRM tells me....there is a HUGE variance between exercise calories the machine says compared to the HRM...usually the machine is very very generous. Also, mfp's pre-calculated calories for exercises is EXTREMELY generous and easily lead people to think they are burning more than they actually are..a HRM ends all arguments!

Please tell your wife that it is what it is...and that she is dedicated to exercise will see her have a much happier lifestyle!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that each company has their own patented way to calculate the calories burned. So unless she was on the heart rate panels during the entire session I would trust my HRM UNLESS the HRM does not use a chest strap. HRMs with chest straps are significantly more reliable.
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My wife used her HRM today and it was 100calories under what her usual workout for 30 mins on the cybex arc trainer is . We both were shocked at this because you enter your weight on the machine unlike other cross trainers.
    Has anyone had this happen when using their HRM. I'm guessing go with the HRM is the more sure thing.

Let us know!!

I did the same thing, When i got my HRM my calories were about 60 calories less than what MFP was calculating me at. Just made me work a little harder to hit my goals.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yes the HRM is much more accurate than the machines.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For sure the HRM is more accurate. The machines don't have the chest straps that calculate it for your specific body/age, etc.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyBugg. They say its over 90% accurate. It doesn't have a built-in HRM but uses thermo sensors to determine you burn. Every time your muscles warm up will register it (I believe that's how I understood it). But, I would definitely go by the HRM over the machine. :smile: