Goal weight for 5'7 3/4 inches

Options
Ladies i need your help i'm trying to decide on my goal weight for my height. I'm almost 5'8 and i set my goal at 175 but i am thinking of changing it to 165lbs. BMI says i should weigh between 131-164lbs.

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girl, but BMI shouldn't matter. Go by how you look, feel, and what your body fat % is. According to BMI, Arnold Swarzenegger in his prime was obese! BMI doesn't take bone structure and muscle into account.
  • ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    I am also almost 5 8 and I had it to 175 and then I lowered it to 165 but my husband tells me that if he thinks i am too skinny then he will ask me to gain a little more but that is because I am built big like a softball player so I just set it at 165 and I will see what we think :)
  • katie_rn
    katie_rn Posts: 40
    Options
    i'm the same height as you, 5'8'' and i have my goal weight at 145lbs but part of it is probably how your body is proportioned too. I'm a pear shape, small shirt size and size 29-30 jeans so find what suits your body type. I'd probably up my goal weight a tad if I had more boobs, but at 25 years old i think i've missed my growth spurt on those ;) as long as you feel good, get healthy in your own way. good luck!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am just a bit shorter than you so I can relate. My original thought was from 213 to 185. Once I reached 185, I decided 175 would be better. Once that was in my sight I decided that this whole weight loss thing wasn't so horrible and I have now decided that 155 (in my "healthy" range) is an attainable goal. My b/f however commented that he thought 130's might be possible. I am focusing on my 155 goal and once I get there, then I will decide if I want or need to continue. Your ultimate goal is a very personal thing. I would suggest making small goals and seeing how you are doing when you reach them.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is 159. It was 165 but several BMI calculators have that still in the overweight BMI range so I changed it so that on all of them I'll be in the healthy range (LOL). I'll see how I feel but I'm thinking somewhere below 165 will make me happy and then I'll quit worrying about the number so much. I'm an hourglass shape and I have been 145 and comfortable at that weight but that was when I was 18 and had no child (LOL) so I don't think it's quite realistic for me anymore.

BMI does matter, it's part of the equation so shooting to be at the TOP of the healthy BMI is not a bad thing. A lot of people ignore BMI because it's not 100% accurate but it does play a part in the weight loss story.
    -Signed a nursing student who's working on being healthier :D
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with you even in college at my smallest my family said i looked sick. And at that point i was weighing 150lbs. Too skinny doesnt look well for me. Thanks for your response.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit taller than you (standing at 5'9") and I am currently 154 with an ultimate goal of 145.
    I think that anywhere within the healthy recommended weight for your height is a good goal. Talk to you doctor and find out what they think is best for you but keep in mind that all body types are different. Some girls could look really great at your height at 180 while others could be 130. Go with what makes YOU feel good :flowerforyou:
  • AntoinetteC
    AntoinetteC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My measurements use to be 36-28-34. I have always been very busty and always had a small waist. Even now my waist still goes in. My shape is sort of weird even as a child i had an adult shape. As big as i still have small hands and fingers. My ring size is 5.25, which always shocks people. I just dont want to be too skinny, i guess i will decide once i get to 175lbs and go from there.
  • jshmans
    jshmans Posts: 8
    Options
    BMI is half the reason I'm so overweight now. When I *WAS* just the right size and never carrying more than a few pounds (really, 5 pounds or less!), that BMI stuff always told me I was fat. My lower body was a huge muscle and I was (unfortunately) naturally very chesty. I'm not nearly as tall as you, but I'd say that if you have a body type where you're strong (runner, crazy upper body strength, dancer, whatever) but you're coming over that BMI number, please ignore the BMI chart. It's totally fiction. I'm not quite 5'1" and I was 125 pounds and according to those BMI charts, that was fat. I honestly wish I could travel back in time just to punch my younger self in the face (while screaming "you're not fat, you're just stupid!"). It's easy to lose sight of reality when you're harping on numbers so much. They don't matter. If you've got a little jiggle, then you could probably handle losing a few pounds, but if it's really just a little bit, congratulations, you're in a healthy weight range. Don't EVER beat yourself up over what any number chart says. For you, it sounds 175 is a good goal weight to start with. If you hit 175 and feel like you have ten more pounds that are sheddable (without removing any internal organs), then make a new goal weight of 165. Set yourself a special goal: 175 pounds in x amount of time and strive for that. Make it realistic (2 pounds or less a week) and when you hit your goal, make a new special goal for yourself based on what your body is telling you - whether it's 10 more pounds or just to build some more muscle (ex. lift 5 extra pounds in x weeks). Don't try to make multiple goals all at once too far in advance: if you keep them simple, you can focus more on them and they'll feel really great when you accomplish them. Good luck.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My measurements use to be 36-28-34. I have always been very busty and always had a small waist. Even now my waist still goes in. My shape is sort of weird even as a child i had an adult shape. As big as i still have small hands and fingers. My ring size is 5.25, which always shocks people. I just dont want to be too skinny, i guess i will decide once i get to 175lbs and go from there.

We are very similar in shape as well and 165 is too heavy for me. I was 145-150 for a LONG time and it was what I call Playboy material so I'm definitely shooting for it again. My boobs are a little fuller now after having a child which is part of why I don't think I'll be down to that weight again and wont' worry about it.

Make one goal at a time, lots of mini-goals if needed, look at my siggie I've had tons of mini-goals :D
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' 7" and my original goal was 155 lbs, then 145 lbs, then 135 lbs, and now I'm happy at 128 lbs. It is something that has to be re-evaluated as you go because my body has changed tremendously compared to how I used to look back in my pre-kids skinny days. I have a lower body fat % than I ever have, more muscle than I ever have, smaller boobs than I've ever had, my hips are smaller, etc... I also have long skinny fingers and wear a 4.75!

Just re-evaluate as you go and you'll know when you get to the point you want to be.