Weighing Yourself

So... about 2 days ago I weighed myself before breakfast and I had lost almost 3 pounds since my last weigh in!!! BUT today I weighed myself in the afternoon (on a different scale) and I weighed 5 lbs more!!!!!! Why is that? I thought there would be a slight difference, but 5 lbs worth???? That seems like a bit too much.

Replies

• timepatty
    timepatty Posts: 2 Member
    If it's on a different scale maybe one is not zeroed or calibrated properly?
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    your weight goes up and down throughout the day, its best to do it in the morning after u use the bathroom and before you eat. I always gain at least 2-3lbs throughout the day, but in the morning i'm either the same as the morning before or lower or higher, depending. You may not be drinking enough water, or you're eating too much, or u just didnt use the bathroom enough, theres a lot of factors in weight gain. Don't worry about it, just weigh yourself in the morning after bathroom and before u eat breakfast.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Different scales can vary dramatically. I just purchased a new scale that I think is pretty accurate and it shows me TEN pounds heavier than my old scale. I expected a difference, but not quite THAT MUCH!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    also some scales are different, do a test -- find something that u know the exact weight of like a dumbbell and put it on the scale.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    First don't ever weigh on two different scales at least that is my opinion it never seems to turn out good. Just stick with one scale and there should be less disappointment. Second stick to one time of day morning seems to be the best before you eat or drink anything. I wouldn't worry to much about the difference in scales they always seem to be off from each other.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Everything you eat during the day will show up because its not digested. Wait until morning, before you eat.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Always use the same scale for your weigh-ins. (different scales in different spots can give very different readings) Keep the scale in the same place as well. Weighing in the morning, after a good night's sleep, after using the restroom (#1 and #2) and before eating or drinking anything, and naked. This will give you the best results. During the day you are putting food and drink in your body so of course you will weigh more. Do not fret when the number is higher, it almost always will be. Weigh once a week (same day) and you will be just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    your weight goes up and down throughout the day, its best to do it in the morning after u use the bathroom and before you eat. I always gain at least 2-3lbs throughout the day, but in the morning i'm either the same as the morning before or lower or higher, depending. You may not be drinking enough water, or you're eating too much, or u just didnt use the bathroom enough, theres a lot of factors in weight gain. Don't worry about it, just weigh yourself in the morning after bathroom and before u eat breakfast.
    Agreed! This is what I do. Don't stress over the daily number. Go on average over a week.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    You answered your own question in asking it, I think. Here are the key things:
    1) You weighed at a different time: your weight will fluctuate on order of (I'm guesstimating here) 2-4 lbs during a given day. Bodies are dynamic things, and your weight will depend on lots of variables, including how much you've had to eat, how much water you're retaining (which, itself, depends on lots of things), when you last had a bowel movement... etc.
    2) You weighed on a different scale. Different scales will not always give you the same number, even if you weigh very close in time. You could get 5 different scales and step on them one at a time and get different readouts. The moral being that scales tend to be precise (you'd probably get the same number if you stepped on one scale multiple times), but not necessarily completely accurate (hence the discrepancy between scales).

I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of these two things added up to *more* than 5 lbs, at times! :)

Best to weigh yourself on one scale (your own) at the same time of day. And don't worry about the fluctuations - just look for the downward trend over time. :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    You could weigh that much more on the SAME scale. If you are weighing yourself any other time than immediately after getting out of bed and emptying your bladder, you are weighing all sorts of variables. Water weight, undigested food, bodily waste, etc. Stick to weighing yourself on the same scale in the morning and in your underwear or naked. That is the only time you will see consistent readings.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Well said!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Even calibrated scales can have +/- range and still be considered accurate. The thing is, same scale, same time of day, no clothes. Also, 3-5 a day of flucuation is completely normal for most woman so trying to weigh after potty but before eating in the morning is probably the most accurate you can get. If you worried about it, as suggested already, grab a known weight and do a quick check.