weekly vs daily calories / zigzagging?? happy summer ?! :)

Options
What do you think? I always have 1 or 2 bad days where I go over usually due to a party or date night. Especially now being the summer we do a lot of bbq-ing and fun stuff. I always feel guilty about this. I find myself less hungry the next day after a night of indulgence and usually eat a lot less that day and it all equals out to almost even by the end of the week. I'll also have say a really good mon, tues wed and then come thurs or fri go over by 300-400 calories. But by the end of the week it's usually like a 100 cal deficit or over for the overall week. I hear people talking about "zig-zagging"... anyone do this? Does this work? This is what works best for me and I am losing I'm just worried I'm not giving it what I should be because I'm always "cheating" and feeling badly about it. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting zig zagging.... I like the idea of planning extra calorie days, so i always feel like I'm disciplined, in control and meeting my goals.

Also, I think it is important with zig zagging (aka calorie cycling) that you still eat healthy foods, just slightly bigger portions, etc. I think eating extra calories from unhealthy foods on a regular basis doesn't support developing healthy long term habits. Of course, everyone likes to occasionally have the french fries or the greasy whatever, but that should be more like once a month, not once a week.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What do you think? I always have 1 or 2 bad days where I go over usually due to a party or date night. Especially now being the summer we do a lot of bbq-ing and fun stuff. I always feel guilty about this. I find myself less hungry the next day after a night of indulgence and usually eat a lot less that day and it all equals out to almost even by the end of the week. I'll also have say a really good mon, tues wed and then come thurs or fri go over by 300-400 calories. But by the end of the week it's usually like a 100 cal deficit or over for the overall week. I hear people talking about "zig-zagging"... anyone do this? Does this work? This is what works best for me and I am losing I'm just worried I'm not giving it what I should be because I'm always "cheating" and feeling badly about it. Thanks in advance. :)

Don't feel bad or guilty. If its working then its not cheating!

I do the same thing. I eat really big one day a week, eat more on my workout days, and eat less on my in between days. It actually works great to cycle your calories like this.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like the weekly outlook. Now don't blow a hole in the ozone but enjoy life. The first and most important goal is to enjoy what you do. Make it easy. I hate being the awkward guy at dinner and ordering like a manaic, now I calorie buff and eat what I like when I go out.