AM workouts?

Options
I do best when I work out first thing in the morning. This meaning that I literally brush my teeth, put on my shoes and go before I can talk myself out of it. However, I know I need to be drinking at least some water before I workout. I am currently doing the C25K workout and I am finding as I progress that I tend to lose steam sometimes and I think it is because I don't take time to drink anything before I head out the door. I guess the question here is, what is your morning workout routine? Do you take time to drink something and let it settle (I do not like the water sloshing around in my stomach feeling...) before you workout?

Replies

• seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you, but drink a little water before starting and plenty during exercise. On the weekends, however, I have the time so I eat and once it settles I work out.
  • Section117_Zolos
    Options
    I work out best in the AM to!

I find that I like a drink of water before I leave the house. I take a class, so there is some time for it to settle as well.

I do drink water during my workouts.

I hope that helps!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Usually when you are losing steam it means you need to eat something. Eat half a banana before you go just to give you a little bit of carbs for added energy. Try to make it 30 mins b4 ur workout so if you have to leave it on the nightstand and eat it as soon as you rise do so.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Usually a banana with PB or Nutella (1/2 TBSP) and at least 3 cups of H2O and I take a water bottle with me.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just an absolute fact - if you don't eat within the first hour of waking up your metabolism is on slow motion all day. that 1/2 banana will make all the difference in the world, or try a cereal bar. Just get 100 good calories in you before you go and hydrate before during and after. Good luck!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Usually when you are losing steam it means you need to eat something. Eat half a banana before you go just to give you a little bit of carbs for added energy. Try to make it 30 mins b4 ur workout so if you have to leave it on the nightstand and eat it as soon as you rise do so.

Agreed. And some water doesn't hurt. However, if you keep yourself hydrated consistently, and run in the morning, unless you're going out for a seriously long run, your hydration should be okay... unless you are sweating buckets.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just an absolute fact - if you don't eat within the first hour of waking up your metabolism is on slow motion all day. that 1/2 banana will make all the difference in the world, or try a cereal bar. Just get 100 good calories in you before you go and hydrate before during and after. Good luck!

You don't necessarily need to hydrate before, during and after. You can over-hydrate and it makes for a sloshy, uncomfortable stomach. Stay hydrated on a regular basis(pee light yellow), and unless it is really hot out there, or you are a serious sweater, you probably don't need extra hydration before and during anything shorter than 5 miles. Usually, after that, it's probably good to start throwing some water or sports drink in. Although, the sports drink isn't even needed at those distances.

There is a way to know if hydration is a problem on your run. 1st, what is the color of your pee that morning? Gross, but honest Also, weigh yourself before your run. Weigh yourself after your run. If you lose 1% of your body weight, it is due to sweat and not replacing fluids that you need and then it might be a factor.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought that exercise also jump starts your metabolism if done first thing in the morning. I have always exercised and then ate breakfast due to rime constraints in the morning and have had no problem with a slow metabolism.

Again I'm not saying you are wrong. This is just what I have been told...
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your helpful advice! I drink a LOT of water every day (I do pee light yellow haha) I just don't normally take time to drink some and let it sit before I workout in the morning. I guess I was mainly asking about what to do before walking/ running outdoors. I know my distance/ time isn't enough to warrent taking a water bottle but I figured I needed something. I will also try to eat something before I go. Again, thanks so much for the advice! :D
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out first thing in the morning.... Along with an afternoon workout as well. However what I have taught myself before every morning workout is 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Maybe this will help you to not gas out during your workout. Good luck and I truly hope this helps. Wishing you the best!! :)
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've tried so hard to wake up every morning to exercise and I'm convinced it can not be done. I've set the alarm, my husband has even shook me, even the cat does his meowing bit and nothing seems to get me going. Now evenings is another story.