100+ lbs to lose? no problem!

Options
hey guys, i just wanted to offer you some words of encouragement if you feel like you have a LOT to lose.... i lost over 100 lbs FINALLY in what i believe was the "right" way... and it took me over a year, because i counted calories and learned as i went. here are the BIG lessons i learned along the way:

1. not all calories are created equal
2. stevia is amazing
3. sodium is often a culprit of sudden gains
4. weigh yourself but try to avoid obsession (once a week works great)
5. eat frequent, small, meals with good carb/protein or carb/fat ratios
6. start exercising slowly, and when you are ready - find something FUN that you enjoy
7. when you get to a happy place, stay there for a while to just "enjoy" it and practice maintaining
8. shop at THRIFT STORES when your size jumps from a 24 to a 6 (like me... LOL was actually annoying)
9. find a community of supportive people
10. you may have to change your group of friends depending on your activities of choice (ie. EATING OUT)
11. it is possible to eat too much fruit
12. eat a big breakfast
13. drink lots of water
14. ALL FOOD can be eaten, nothing should be avoided, but in MODERATION
15. major celebrations call for major indulgences
16. after major indulgences, just RESUME as you normally would - don't "starve" the next day to "make up"
17. it's hard, but AVOID the "i have to exercise this much so i can eat this much" mentality
18. look inward, your issues of weight are likely more emotional than anything
19. life is not perfect on the other side of this, but it is SO worth it
20. there is nothing wrong with ordering OFF the menu at a restaurant and ordering your food EXACTLY as you want it, or sending it back if it does not fit your standards. YOU are in control of your body.
21. this journey IS NEVER OVER if you let your guard down or think you will be "done" someday, think again

and lastly... YOU have the power within yourself to do this. no one else has control of your thoughts or actions. OWN YOUR LIFE, take it one day at a time, and before you know it you will have those 100 lbs GONE FOREVER.

Replies

• chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Needed that!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Great great tips, I'm only 33 pounds down but these are things I've definitely learned along the way! Thanks, you are an inspiration!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Makes me realize that I learned a lot along the way aswell :)
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    thanks for this awesome post!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Very well said, great post!
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you are such an inspiration! great job!
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love your insight!! I have 100+ to lose and with just starting have only lose 3 lbs!! Thankfully i have learned some of these points but thanks for all of it!! Congrats and thanks for being an inspiration!!
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    First of all..Congrats giiiirl!!!! :flowerforyou:
    I am looking to lose the same amount that you have lost, also in a years time frame is what
    I expect. I've only been using this site for about a week, but starting my new healthy eating plan
    on June 6th, and as of today have lost 15 lbs, I realize that the first week was mostly water weight that
    I lost, I am weighing every Sunday ONLY...I know the scale can be your enemy, I have gone through this before.
    This time I know will be different because I know that I can NEVER return to eating the way I use to, where before
    I always did!!! Right now in the beginning,

I am not as dependent on the scale as I am on the way my clothes are starting "not"
    to fit. I am more motivated than ever to get healthy, and actually feel like I belong in society,
    instead of feeling like I don't, not that I am letting society dictate anything to me, It's just hard being fat and over weight
    in todays society, I am so sick of having to go to plus size stores where the clothes look like they should be worn by my grandmother instead of me! I am starting to feel much better and more energized. Thanks for sharing your amazing story and those wonderful tips, sounds like I'm on the right track.

I wish you much success in continuing on your wonderful journey, for life!!!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful, positive post with some great insight! Everyone should read this!
  • bebe3232
    bebe3232 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you for sharing great advice! and congrats on all your hard work!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    awesome post! i know when wieght to lose is over 100lbs it looks daunting, i certainly was shocked by how much i figured out i wanted to lose. and i agree with almost every point you made (not a fan of stevia personally :P)

i know one suggestiong i have heard others say is to break down your losses into smaller sets if that one big glaring number is too much. i find that big number a challenge, but i know it can be scary for others.

you look awesome and are a true inspiration for the rest of us with lots to lose :) thank you for sharing.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i could have written this myself.. well... except for the stevia... *L* i prefer honey on the rare times i need a sweetener..but other than that i swear you may have been reading my mind! *L*

awesome!
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks...great info!!!:flowerforyou:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,274 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Loved the combination of confirmations and new advice. Thanks
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am glad I was able to help some of you... and many of you have your own experiences too, and I am SURE you could add to my list. The biggest point is that YOU can do it! About the stevia... I know there are a lot of brands out there that claim to be "stevia" but there are several parts of the stevia plant that can be used. There is one part that does NOT leave the bitter aftertaste... I have tried truvia, stevia in the raw, and maybe one other one that I can't remember.... but my absolute favorite is highest quality, and super pure with no additives... it's called NuStevia, and I get it in bulk at the health food store. :-) a tiny bit goes a LONG way! :-) I would love it if you guys looked me up on FB, or twitter.... It's my life's mission to help others do what I have done. We can't do it totally alone, but together, we can ROCK IT!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post. Makes me think about the things I have learned along the way too. This journey is an amazing experience, through the fun and not so fun parts.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! Great great GREAT post!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    my pleasure. :) this is my PASSION in life... now that I know I can do it.. ANYONE CAN.