flax seeds

Options
Someone recently suggested flax seeds to me, but now that I have purchased them, I'm not really sure what to do with them. Do I grind them or use them whole?

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think you could grind them if you wanted to. I purchase peanut butter all the time that has whole flax seed in it, believe it or not it is rather tasty. You could also add them to a homemade trial mix. Maybe some rasins, flaxseeds, etc.
  • mdspierce1
    mdspierce1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can use them either way! I like them whole on toast or in salads. They're also great ground up in smoothies! Flax seeds are great for your digestive system. Have fun figuring out new ways to use them in your cooking!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My father in law (who is an avid lifter) always tells me to add ground flax seed to cottage cheese and eat a half cup right before bed. I haven't tried it yet with the flax seed yet though.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are great! You need to grind them in order for your body to break it down. I have a small coffee grinder that is dedicated to flax seeds. Grind only a small amount (like a week's worth) at a time and store in the refrigerator (also store the whole flax seeds in the refrigerator). Flax seeds can go rancid fairly easily.

Your only other alternative to grinding is soaking, but I don't recommend unless you have a dehydrator and plan to make flax seed crackers. They become a gluey blob once your soak.
  • lovewish
    lovewish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello So what is the benefit of flax seed? I looked it up and was flooded with a host of tooo much to read...readers digest version please:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hello So what is the benefit of flax seed? I looked it up and was flooded with a host of tooo much to read...readers digest version please:

Here's a pretty good summary: http://www.flaxhealth.com/howflaxhelps.htm

Most common benefit associated with flax seeds: Omega-3 fatty acids. The same Omega-3 that some folks take fish oil for or eat salmon. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is heart healthy,.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are great! You need to grind them in order for your body to break it down. I have a small coffee grinder that is dedicated to flax seeds.

She's right-- you have to ground them, or they'll pass right through your system not doing you any good. I usually buy the already ground flax, or I just grind a bit in my magic bullet.

I use flax in a TON of stuff too-- Make smoothies, and throw a tablespoon of ground flax in there. I also put it a tablespoon in my oatmeal in the morning, various cookie recipes, and I have an excellent recipe for Flax Sunflower Seed Bread for my breadmaker. We live RIGHT by a flax mill, so I have a bunch of recipes that I haven't used yet either. I find you can use it a lot like wheat germ.. throw in a bit here and there. Very rarely will you even notice it!
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I add flax to yogurt smoothies sometimes, and pizza crust, i hide in spaghetti sauce (along with spinach) so my kids eat it too. they actually like ground flax just mixed in their yogurt.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Definitely grind them. It's best to only grind the amount you're going to use that day but this can be tedious so you if you grind them all at once, make sure to store it in the freezer in a sealed container.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I chose flax seed oil rather than the whole seeds. I just suck back a tablespoon of oil in the morning and I'm good to go :heart: