Cheap exercise?

Options
So I recently moved from Mich. to NC, I so miss my free membership at the gym from working at the hospital :( I was doing really well on the elliptical machine & losing weight steadily.

At the moment I'm kind of stuck having trouble finding a job which makes getting a gym membership or getting onto base(yay no gas in NC) next to impossible.

So, I've been walking around the block, unfortunately this neighborhood is surrounded by 'bad' areas so I either can't walk or I have to take my mastiff & fight him half the walk because of loose dogs & cats.

I'm looking for something I can do in my home to burn some calories without much or any equipment($ are a bit tight atm) so I can be a little less depressed over gaining weight since I've been here.

Idea's? Suggestions? Tyia for any replies.

~K.

Replies

• Teekee
    Teekee Posts: 12
    Options
    So I recently moved from Mich. to NC, I so miss my free membership at the gym from working at the hospital :( I was doing really well on the elliptical machine & losing weight steadily.

At the moment I'm kind of stuck having trouble finding a job which makes getting a gym membership or getting onto base(yay no gas in NC) next to impossible.

So, I've been walking around the block, unfortunately this neighborhood is surrounded by 'bad' areas so I either can't walk or I have to take my mastiff & fight him half the walk because of loose dogs & cats.

I'm looking for something I can do in my home to burn some calories without much or any equipment($ are a bit tight atm) so I can be a little less depressed over gaining weight since I've been here.

Idea's? Suggestions? Tyia for any replies.

~K.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I do exercise DVD's
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I run up and down my street. It takes just over 3 "round trips" to make a mile...But it is easy to do while the kids are tucked in bed or just after I drop them off at the bus stop. I also like using that time as my think time...what I have to do the next day, what's for my meals, who has to be where...Before I know it, I've gone a few miles. I am also able to get hubby out running with me since we can do it quickly.

Maybe try jump roping??? 10 minutes non-stop and at a good (but not dying) pace can burn 100 calories!!!

Jumping jacks while watching TV...

Run laps around the house or yard.

Wash the car, vacume the house, find something *dancy* on the TV and boogie on down!

Anything...I can't wait to hear other MFP'ers ideas!

**************** Oh...and I HATE running, but the results have been amazing and quick! So I guess I love it! LOL :flowerforyou:
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Before I had exercise equipment I used my kids! LOL! No really I used to play superwoman with them. I would lay on my back and lift my feet up and they would get on the bottom of my feet and I would lift them in the air and they think they're superwoman! I would use the bigger can of spaghetti sauce as weights. I would play some fun music and walk in place and throw in some side steps. My kids love exercise time!
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    76013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    NETFLIX! It is less than $20 a month. They have all sorts of workout dvds. You can try them and keep them as long as you want or send them back. I have saved so much money. I used to just buy dvds that looked good, half the time they were a waste of money. I love doing the kickboxing videos. I have seen such an improvement with my core since starting those.
    Good luck. Keep your head up and just get through each day.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you are able to dish out a few bucks, I'd recommend the Beachbody series. There are plenty to choose from and they WORK! You don't even have to leave the house!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another cheep workout...

I'll lend you my kids and schedule. LOL

First my oldest...hubby who is often child-like but fantabulous. Wake up about 5:30 AM to make him coffee, lunch and visit. Kick him out the door by 6:15 AM.

They need to be woken up early (6:00 AMish) to be ready for school by 7:22 and at the bus stop. Three different breakfasts for hubby and kids need to be made. And lunches for the entire family have been need to be complete with one snack, and cute colored napkins. Grrrrr...

The bus stop is 1/4 of a mile down the road...Walk it or you will feel guilty for being lazy when everyone looks at you (ya, even though you are the ONLY one driving that far in the rain, cold or heat. When at their bus stop you must return for at LEAST one or two important items. This should burn 200 calories.

Once the kids are there, you can clean, scrub, launder, dust, care for dog, organize, scrub, shower, fold, wipe, the entire house. When you are completely finished...Grab your second meal on the go, and head for the finishing touches on the house. Race to bus stop by 2:45 to grab first kid, drag home and set up with snack and homework. Now race back to the bus stop by 3:20 for second kid, and back home for snack and homework. This should be about 1200 calories if you are doing it right.

Review all snacks, smile a bunch, listen to endless things about their lovely day. Minus - 2348954 calories and minus - 234872938 brain cells. (Can be counted as sleep time. LOL)

Race kids to no less than two of the following events per day: gymnastics, cheer, soccer, baseball, school sponsored event (which also includes bonus nagging from district office in the form of 20938457230958 reminders per event as well as 20394857304987 generic harassing phone calls).

Zoom home with magic broom, throw dinner into hungry vulture children's mouths, run around house to move just a bit before kicking kids into bed. (Each kick will require at LEAST 4543 reminders for them to do each task, burning at LEAST 98752039847 calories per kick.)

Kiss kids goodnight, fall asleep on couch, drag body to bed.

Repeat daily burning well over your needed calories.

Oh wait...Did I forget the take a run for at least 45 minutes per night? LOL
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Net flix. $4.99 a month for 2 videos. Also, your routine wont become routine.

Her is what I do.

Put headphones on. Dance.... 10 minutes. Use your arms, act like no ones watchin, cuz theyre not.

1lb bag of beans in each hand....dance some more. 10 minutes

Push ups have completely changed my upper body.
    Planks for core and arms
    squats and lunges for legs

I just saw were you can look on YOU TUBE for exercise routines.

No excuses young lady.....get your butt movin'!!!
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

pop excercising at home into google and it comes up with loads of suggests plus, some of the sites have demos of how to do any exercises you are unsure of.

http://www.thesite.org.uk/healthandwellbeing/fitnessanddiet/fitness

this is a good site with plenty of helpful information about excercising on a budget/at home. hope it helps x

love skiski xxx
  • Teekee
    Options
    Net flix. $4.99 a month for 2 videos. Also, your routine wont become routine.

Her is what I do.

Put headphones on. Dance.... 10 minutes. Use your arms, act like no ones watchin, cuz theyre not.

1lb bag of beans in each hand....dance some more. 10 minutes

Push ups have completely changed my upper body.
    Planks for core and arms
    squats and lunges for legs

I just saw were you can look on YOU TUBE for exercise routines.

No excuses young lady.....get your butt movin'!!!

Hehe yeah since my kids have gotten older & need less 'supervision' while they're doing w/e they do I found I gained weight :(

Well the last 2 days I've spent at least 2 hours a day moving constantly cleaning & moving military gear(that stuff is stupid heavy, I'm glad I don't wear body armor!).

I'll have to bug the dh about getting netflix, the cheaper version I forgot all about that! I guess I'm very uncoordinated because the 2 kickboxing videos I bought, I could not keep up with or do the moves to save my life.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, back to lugging the heavy junk around again & yay the power is back on!

~K.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Videos are a great way to go!
  • KBagwell
    Options
    If you have Comcast or RoadRunner....they have exercise on Demand! I just started yesterday doing the Biggest Loser workout twice a day! Today I am HURTING! Just remember, pain is weakness leaving the body!

Good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You know, you can use any video and alter the moves somewhat. I cant do a full lunge to save my life due to weak knees (probably from not doing lunges my whole life!!:laugh: )

Anyway, I do 1/2 time what they are doing.

Also Check out the yard sales. Sometimes there is a video that seems stupid, like my 1980 Charlean Tilton low impact aerobic video. What a hoot. the outfits make me laugh and I am sure that takes a few cals away.

I picked up a few for a quarter. Anyone want Richard Simmons Dancing to the oldies????? yours for free.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    if you have digital cable
    there are free exercise workouts on demand there.
    also, just get outside and move around.
    Run, go for a hike or a bike ride.
    Any activity is better than none, just because you dont have a gym doesnt mean you cant stay active.
  • Teekee
    Options
    if you have digital cable
    there are free exercise workouts on demand there.
    also, just get outside and move around.
    Run, go for a hike or a bike ride.
    Any activity is better than none, just because you dont have a gym doesnt mean you cant stay active.

Ah I didn't know there were free on demand stuff, I don't ever watch television I'll have to ask my dh where to find them(first time with cable in 14 years!!).

As for hiking, there is no place nearby to hike or I would & I don't own a bicycle(again the expense thing is coming into play). Thanks for the ideas although I never said I couldn't be active because I don't have a gym(where did that come from?), I said I have less than ideal circumstances at the moment & asked for ideas.

Googling 'cheap exercise' = a plethora of no good 'lose weight fast' sites & I did search the message board but came up with some odd results(it won't just search one particular forum which would make it a lot easier to filter through.).
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another cheep workout...

I'll lend you my kids and schedule. LOL

First my oldest...hubby who is often child-like but fantabulous. Wake up about 5:30 AM to make him coffee, lunch and visit. Kick him out the door by 6:15 AM.

They need to be woken up early (6:00 AMish) to be ready for school by 7:22 and at the bus stop. Three different breakfasts for hubby and kids need to be made. And lunches for the entire family have been need to be complete with one snack, and cute colored napkins. Grrrrr...

The bus stop is 1/4 of a mile down the road...Walk it or you will feel guilty for being lazy when everyone looks at you (ya, even though you are the ONLY one driving that far in the rain, cold or heat. When at their bus stop you must return for at LEAST one or two important items. This should burn 200 calories.

Once the kids are there, you can clean, scrub, launder, dust, care for dog, organize, scrub, shower, fold, wipe, the entire house. When you are completely finished...Grab your second meal on the go, and head for the finishing touches on the house. Race to bus stop by 2:45 to grab first kid, drag home and set up with snack and homework. Now race back to the bus stop by 3:20 for second kid, and back home for snack and homework. This should be about 1200 calories if you are doing it right.

Review all snacks, smile a bunch, listen to endless things about their lovely day. Minus - 2348954 calories and minus - 234872938 brain cells. (Can be counted as sleep time. LOL)

Race kids to no less than two of the following events per day: gymnastics, cheer, soccer, baseball, school sponsored event (which also includes bonus nagging from district office in the form of 20938457230958 reminders per event as well as 20394857304987 generic harassing phone calls).

Zoom home with magic broom, throw dinner into hungry vulture children's mouths, run around house to move just a bit before kicking kids into bed. (Each kick will require at LEAST 4543 reminders for them to do each task, burning at LEAST 98752039847 calories per kick.)

Kiss kids goodnight, fall asleep on couch, drag body to bed.

Repeat daily burning well over your needed calories.

Oh wait...Did I forget the take a run for at least 45 minutes per night? LOL

Gessh, I like my bike better--wheel out of garage, ride for couple hours, wheel back in garage, clean occasionally, oil chain every few rides, that's it!

As for cheap, I 2nd the jump rope or Netflix. Or check on iTunes for free podcasts of stuff--lots of free exercise videos on there, too
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    If you have Comcast or RoadRunner....they have exercise on Demand! I just started yesterday doing the Biggest Loser workout twice a day! Today I am HURTING! Just remember, pain is weakness leaving the body!

Good luck!

thanks Kbag....gonna look into this. didnt even know it existed.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Even cheaper than netflix--the local library! You can get a variety of exercise videos there, even the golden oldies... lol