Question about zig-zag

Options
So, I was checking out the zig-zag "diet" and with the numbers I got according to freedieting.com..aren't we all doing a zig-zag with the calories. None of us are eating the same exact calories a day. We're either up a day, down a day...just a roller coaster of different numbers each day. Thoughts?

Replies

• Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    I kinda wondered that as well, interested in what others say.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'm never the same...either I go over my goal calories or I'm under, I'm never at exactly 1300 cals. Have a great zig-zag day everyone!
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I don't think I necessarily zig-zag my calories. I do not eat the exact same amount everyday but I do not fluctuate much either if that makes sense.

I was actually talking to my dad about this the other day and his doctor suggested he zig-zag his calories by eating around 2000 calories for 3-4 days then eating 1500 calories for a day and then back up around 2000. I think the zig-zag has to be bigger than just a hundred calories give or take (like 500 calories). I could be way off on this but this is what my dad's doctor suggested. By zig-zagging your calories it keeps your body confused and will allow you to continue losing weight.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    My workouts vary so my exercise calories vary from zero on my off day to around 1100 on days that I kickbox and Zumba. I try to eat most of my calories every day, so my intake varies from 1200 to around 2200 (not counting the days I go over :happy: )
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    zig zag is planned in advance and will keep your weekly calorie deficit where you want it to be. otherwise, it seems a little random, which won't work for everyone. it all depends on what works for you and what you will stick with.

I personally don't like too big of a calorie swing because I don't want my stomach to be able to handle those large binge days anymore. I also am trying a schedule from freedieting.com. I set my base calories at the lowest calorie days it generated for me (1200) and then set up a custom exercise in MFP for each day of the week to add in the additional calories (anywhere from 85 to I think 213). Then I have my exercise calories on top of that, which I try to eat back most of, if not all. I like the feeling of reaching my calorie goals and not regularly going over my daily "budget", so I like the idea of scheduling the zig zag days, but that's just me.

i also think it's important to keep making healthy food choices on the high calorie days, by just having larger portions or adding in an extra snack. I wouldn't recommend getting the extra calories from junk.