Starting Calorie Counting

Options
Ok, so I am needing some help. I will be starting a weight loss clinic tomorrow, which includes calorie counting. I myself have never personally counted calories. I know how to do it for the most part, just not sure on some things. One thing I am worried about is that I do not have a smart phone to be able to use an app on. I will be doing this without that.

Can you share how you keep track of your calories if you do not have a smart phone? Please. Also tell me what it is you like about that method. I am looking to make this easy on myself. I am really looking forward to doing this.

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    easiest way to do it without a smart phone is a piece of paper and a pen/pencil and then put the stuff you've recorded onto here when you get in, or if you have a standard mobile save it as a draft text message and again put the stuff on here later. i used to use a notebook when i was first diagnosed with ibs as it meant i could track times i'd eaten stuff what i was doing that day and how i was feeling, to see how my day to day life was affecring my body.

either way only works if you bother to record the information though and thats the hard bit

hope everything goes well for you x
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have just yesterday installed this on my blackberry. I don't like it on there. I basically just take a note of what i'm eating then log in on here and keep track on this site rather than on an app. I have managed fine without the app. If your having somethign packaged you can easily keep a note of it to log on it later on. If it's somethign i' havent' had before so don't know if it's on here, i'll keep the wrapper if i can't find a pen and paper.
  • AHDAD
    AHDAD Posts: 2
    Options
    I would suggest keeping something as simple as a 3x5 index card with you. Have your calorie goal written on it and subtract and add your calories as you go through the day. Wtite down your activities and then log them when you get home.
  • GFFB
    GFFB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out Amazon.com - they carry several pocket size calorie counters. Keep a tally of your calories until you get a chance to update your food diary.

Here is a example of one -The Pocket Calorie Counter 2011 Edition (Portable Diet Guide) [Hardcover]
    Suzanne Beilenson (Author)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Pen and paper. Also plan ahead. If you know you're eating chicken for dinner you'll start to memorize what 4-6oz of chicken are. Look up restaurants online ahead of time.

I don't actually need to look up my regular items anymore because I use them so often.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I am ready to start. Today is my 1st day. I am nervous, yet excited. I am going to get my a little notebook & write everything down.