Question about Jicama

djthom
djthom Posts: 651 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I've been wanting to try this for a long time. Does anyone know where I can buy this in Massachusetts and does it go by any other names?

Replies

• cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    It's also called a Mexican Turnip, so you might try any local Mexican Food stores? I am in California, so we have them all over, not sure about Massachusetts. I also find them at Farmer's Markets. Good luck! I love Jicama, it's very yummy.
  • Lily0013
    Lily0013 Posts: 28
    In Missouri they sell it at Wal-Mart.
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Most major grocery stores have it. It's a root vegetable, so you'll find it near the turnips, rutabegas, and parsnips. If you're unsure, just ask! It's wide and round and is a brown color--like a brown paper bag.

It has a slightly sweet taste and has the texture of a crisp apple. It's great cut up in salads. Make sure to peel it first, though! Good luck!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    whole foods carry them! i remember cause i used to work at the one by mass general and i called it 'JICK-a-mah' one time intsead of yick-ah-ma.. and someone scolded me!!
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    I'm from Los Angeles and it was super common to find there... but now living in Cincinnati, Ohio, I've been able to find them just as easily! They're usually kept with the loose root vegetables in the produce section. Some grocers refer to them by their name, Jicama, others "yam bean"
    Mexican turnip is accurate too, but I've never seen them labeled as such around here.

My favorite way to eat jicama is definitely cubed up in a bowl with fresh squeezed lemon juice, chili powder and paprika. Mmm.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Thanks everyone! :happy: I will try looking again.
This discussion has been closed.