Stop beating yourself up please!

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sure I've been guilty of ranting about ONE pound..cause hell, that's one pound in the wrong direction. We all have bad days and it helps to talk about them on here. I don't mind at all to offer encouragement to someone who's having "one of those days" because I have plenty of my own.

Posting sure beats hiding doesn't it!:heart: Cause with a quick post...even if we're on a true downer....we'll find other folks that have gone thru the very same thing or something quite similiar or even still....are going through the exact SAME thing but were not yet at the posting phase.

On the other hand....when we hide out, we hide out alone and sometimes don't make it back for much longer than it would take to post!

Then all that creepy guilt pops up all over the place..........yea, definitely posting our feelings./thoughts on how we're doing is the better pick in my opinion.:drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think what Rach was trying to say and what I was saying. . .

is it breaks my heart to hear some of the language that people use towards themselves. Believe me, I'm not perfect in my struggle (by no means. . .not even close) with loving myself. But, I have learned one thing: if you wouldn't say it to your friend. . .or let someone else say it to your friend, you shouldn't let yourself say it to yourself.

I understand the need to say something like "the scale is up a pound, and that makes me feel bad."

But, what I really wish people would stop saying are things like "the scale is up a pound, and I hate myself and I'm a bad person." (or something like that. . .)

And, the last thing I want is for anybody to stop reaching out here for support. It is what we're here for. I also think that we all need to take control of our attitudes towards ourselves. I think that trying to maintain positivity is really a part of a healthy lifestyle.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm with you:
    We have to love ourselves before we can change ourselves :flowerforyou:
    Share the love, we all have down days, and unfortunately only tend to post downer days.

However, I think we should keep posting those downer days - AND the good days, we need to be open about our feelings.

Don't forget, a problem shared is a problem halved :flowerforyou:

Maybe I'm weird...but here's how it works in my brain.....:laugh:

Ok, I would NEVER post a downer post here...ok, I say that now.:laugh: ..I haven't yet that I recall...perhaps I should word it like that instead.. but I don't judge those who do....it's just merely not my way. I try to get out of my own head and reach out to help someone else and then it seems to work itself out on it's own. We all have our own ways of working through something....it may perhaps also be that I'm much newer than many of you on this site...so maybe that's what the reason is?:noway:

I think what I do instead is find a thread, or see someone new and welcome them to MFP, ya know something I feel I'm able to give of freely to remotivate myself in the meantime.....does that make sense?

BUT I don't ever mind reading any post where someone is down in the dumps and needs a helping hand.....the only ones I find more difficult is where someones says 'MOTIVATE ME!"...um, what?? lol

Someone more recently responded to one that asked that very thing and she had some great points ........sorry I can't recall who it was but they too said, they found it uncomfortable to be ask to 'MOTIVATE ME' on someone's post.

I had never thought of it that way until I read it her thoughts....I realized I feel the same, I'm not sure a person other than yourself can truly motivate you to dusting off your bum and picking yourself up off the ground.

We an encourage, reach over to help you up....but a person has to truly WANT to get back up and move forward again. Most posters seem to want that........but a few do seem to actually want you to pick them up and carry them until they get remotivated. :::shrugs::::::::: we are all on this journey together...yet each of us has their own individual path to walk.........

We can share our strength but can't give it all away as we need to keep some for ourselves.:drinker:

Anything worth having is worth working for ourselves, only then will it truly last and become our OWN treasure:flowerforyou:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

is it breaks my heart to hear some of the language that people use towards themselves. Believe me, I'm not perfect in my struggle (by no means. . .not even close) with loving myself. But, I have learned one thing: if you wouldn't say it to your friend. . .or let someone else say it to your friend, you shouldn't let yourself say it to yourself.

I understand the need to say something like "the scale is up a pound, and that makes me feel bad."

But, what I really wish people would stop saying are things like "the scale is up a pound, and I hate myself and I'm a bad person." (or something like that. . .)

And, the last thing I want is for anybody to stop reaching out here for support. It is what we're here for. I also think that we all need to take control of our attitudes towards ourselves. I think that trying to maintain positivity is really a part of a healthy lifestyle.

EXACTLY!!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Anything worth having is worth working for ourselves, only then will it truly last and become our OWN treasure:flowerforyou:

Well said! applause.gif
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Hear, hear! Let's all be kind to ourselves. :flowerforyou: We are all struggling with some of the same issues, but the very fact that each and every one of you is here is testament to your strength. We all have our weak moments, but we have to keep striving to respect and love ourselves. Food should be fuel, not comfort or reward. Exercise should be empowering, not punishment.

You all have the power within you to change. Love thyself! :heart:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Heck, I've ranted and raved and stomped and threw my share of tantrums too much to tell others not to--BUT I agree with the "you're wonderful as you are right now" thought. I just told someone this morning--God don't make junk!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Kind of like a hand up, not a hand out...hmmmm
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heck, I've ranted and raved and stomped and threw my share of tantrums too much to tell others not to--

You? Never! :laugh: :wink: You just knew I had to share a giggle with you on that, huh sis? Luvya!

But yeah, we all are dealing with the same things, it's not just weight control, it's really LIFE control. And sometimes that one or two measly pounds get inflated, in our lil pickin peabrains, into an emotional issue, and we think that we are being failures (yet again). So I do understand about how it's a nice, easy, rut to fall into about beating yourself up. But it's a far more healthy way to acknowledge what has happened, and then get back on track, and take stock, and push yourself FORWARD.