Walking challenge for July

Options

Replies

• macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm going to see how many mile I can run/walk that is for sure. I just picked 100 because it was round and a big number of miles. Every other day I'm doing C25K so there is 5 miles at least 20 miles a week.

Tomorrow is the first day. Everyone ready?
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    don't know if i can make 100 but i will give it my best shot. heading to ticker factory now!! :bigsmile:
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am in and will look forward to doing 100+ miles in July. Ready to start tomorrow.
    Do you want us to login every day or once a week?
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me, need to make a new ticker myself!
  • BIGGnSMALL
    BIGGnSMALL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm IN too. I will start tomorrow with a 5K jog. I've sent you a friend request as well :smile:
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Im in...Goal is to go at least 150 miles walk/run/elliptical/ this month. It is gonna be hard cause of a cruise next week, but gotta push myself.
  • ashleyjwray
    Options
    I'm in! 100 miles in July..here we come! :)
  • macenro
    Options
    Once a week is probably fine, but you can check in once an hour for all I care. I'm going to try and start strong with 7-8 miles tomorrow.
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    I'll join you guys! I've set a goal of 102... Just want to go over the 100 mark hence the 'dangling' 2. Ready to start strong tomorrow!!
  • bexxw
    bexxw Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AWAY WE GO :)! Happy July everyone!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    count me in too.
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join too. Good luck everyone x
  • Hammock
    Hammock Posts: 37
    Options
    OK, I'm in, too! I have to do 160k and have no idea what that will feel like, but no point in not trying! Now I have to figure out how to make an exercise ticker! We are pretty busy with a funeral and various related things this weekend so i will have some serious catching up to do starting on the 4th! Good luck all, and happy July of walking!
  • macenro
    Options
    I did my day 1 of week 2 C25K and walked and ran about 7.5 miles.

Anyone else start yet? I figure we should post updates the first few days to get more people to join early in the month.
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did 8 miles this morning
  • iAMaPhoenix
    Options
    No miles yet, but will get started during lunch for at least 4, then some later this afternoon.
  • 1saat
    1saat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in on this - I did 176 km in June and would like to beat it.

For the past 2 years, I`ve been wearing a pedometer and trying for the 10,000 steps per day.

I have long legs and a long stride so I get a few more steps per mile. My pedometer is calibrated to my stride so I'm sure my mileage is accurate and no longer count steps, just mileage.

Check out the sites below - the average person's step is quite a bit longer than 12-inches - average steps per mile is accepted at 2,000 steps. Anyone who aims for 17,000 steps/day will be walking about 8m/day or so.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

http://walking.about.com/od/pedometer1/a/steps-per-mile.htm (Estimate your steps by height)

Extract from http://www.thewalkingsite.com/faq.html :

How many steps in a mile?

One mile is equal to 5280 feet. Most people say it takes about 2000 steps for every mile. Of course everyone's stride is different. An average stride is usually somewhere between 2 and 3 feet in length. So on average it takes between 1760 and 2640 steps to complete one mile.

To measure your stride mark a distance of 50 feet. Now walk this distance and count your steps. Divide 50 by the number of steps and that is your stride length. Now, divide 5280 by your stride length to find your "average steps per mile".

Good luck to everyone :flowerforyou:
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yeah walked just over 2 miles. That's all I could fit in before picking my son up from school. Doesn't look much compared to what everyone else has achieved today!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    Options
    3.12 miles so far today. If wife allows will get another 5-6 in before the day is over.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    Options
    10.32 miles completed today...go me.