why am I stuck at this number?

I changed my calories allowed. I'm not losing. I'm doing great with the exercise but I'm not changing my weight. Maybe I had it set that I was too active. my job changes daily. some days I run all day others I sit alot. ao I changed my activity level. I need to mix it up a bit and figure out how to get the number changing. any ideas? I usually log about 400-600 calories of exercise each day. and I was always under the set goal of calories to eat...so you'd think I should be losing. I'm doing JM Shred and also walking a mile and using my elliptical every day. I know that I'm building muscle. I can actually keep up with the beginner girl on the shred. and my clothes do fit a lot looser. I went down a full size and half in pants. Am I being unrealistic to expect weight loss too???

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Unless you are in a really physical job. I wouldn't count it. I put mine as sedentary and anything I do is a plus.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Try keeping track of inches - a lot of times you might not see the pounds come off at first but the inches are what count (and it sounds like you're losing some). Also, I was coming in WAY under calories and my weight loss slowed. I bumped mine up 100ish and tried to end the day within 50 calories of my goal and started losing more pounds.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Make sure you are eating your exercise calories so your ending 'net' for the day (the number after the = on the main page) is within 200 calories (or so) of your goal.

I was on a plateau for about 3 weeks, with constant exercise and eating below my daily goal...but wasn't eating my exercise calories. I started eating extra this week and after about 4 days, I finally lost another pound.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Many people worry too much about the scale. If your clothes are fitting better/loser and you are looking better in the mirror than you are making progress. Make sure that you are eating close to the calorie goal that MFP gives you each day including eating to replace most of the calories you burn through exercise. Many people do not realize that eating too few calories can be just as bad for losing weight as eating too many calories. When you eat too few calories your body will go into "starvation mode" and start hording fat because it thinks there is a famine.
  • bmw_bloch
    bmw_bloch Posts: 24 Member
    I was stuck for 3 weeks althought I excersised daily for 60 min and ate less than my goal. I probably compensated fatloss with muscle gain. Finally I make progree again after increasing exercises to 90 min and more and also trying to eat more to hit my daily calories goal.
  • Hello, I'm new to the site.
    I'm eating way less than my goal and the weight isn't shifting even though I'm exercising. Reading these posts has been interesting, I think I need to eat up to my allowance. Any thoughts?
  • mark03264
    Hello hoochymama1! Welcome...

Yes, you should. You will most likely to find that you will make better progress burning fat and it will also make it easier to build muscle which will help burn even more fat.
  • Well, I followed the suggestion and I lost another pound, after being a bit stuck.
    I will now eat up to my calorie goal each day. Thanks for the advice.It just seems strange to do, but it is really more sustainable and I'm rewarding good exercise.Thanks guys.
  • mark03264
    Well, I followed the suggestion and I lost another pound, after being a bit stuck.
    I will now eat up to my calorie goal each day. Thanks for the advice.It just seems strange to do, but it is really more sustainable and I'm rewarding good exercise.Thanks guys.

Excellent! Glad you are making progress again.

Thank you for the followup information.