Sugar blues - help

Options
emfoley2
emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
I'm having real trouble keeping to my daily MFP sugar goal of 24g and I'm not sure how to address the problem given that I am eating clean and have no added sugar, soda, juice in my diet and the sweets are fresh fruit.

My standard breakfast is 6 oz. greek yogurt with fruit and a tablespoon of flax seeds and coffee with milk, no sugar, about 220 calories. At this point, I have blown my daily sugar allotment of 24 grams, mostly from the yogurt (plain or greek), fresh vs. fruit in the yogurt doesn't seem to matter. Even if I skip sweets the rest of the day, things like lettuce, tomato, avocado, and course fresh fruit push my numbers to the point where at 1200 calories I am usually about 100% over my daily allotment.

What do I do? Give up fruit and dairy? I'm stymied...

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating any added sugar, I'd suggest taking the sugar off your tracker bar. A single mango can put you at or above the allotment. What it comes down to is sugar is not an essential nutrient so the guidelines for it are near zero because we don't actually need any sugar. That being said if you enjoy fruit and such, don't stress it. I took it off my bar because it wasn't doing me any good. I rarely have any added sugar in mine and it has to come from sources like honey due to my refined sugar intolerance. Trying to match their numbers while eating fruit will drive you batty.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I have abstained from processed sugars for the past 6 years and it has helped me tremendously. I NEVER count the sugars from fruit or dairy.

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job! Keep it up!

If seeing that "over" number bothers you then change your settings. IMHO, that number is intended for processed sugars and not fruit or dairy.

D
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm always over with my fruit and dairy. I can't change that. It's not like I'm pigging out on candy and what not. I ended up not showing my 'sugar tracker' because it made me mad. Lol. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat fruit sugars. MFP only reads raw numbers(which is all it should do). It doesn't tell the difference between a lot of foods such as: natural sugar vs refined, whole grain vs enriched, etc. If you go over on a certain category, but are maintaining good portions, and making healthy food choices then its not something you should worry over.
  • emfoley2
    emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Good to hear - I think I will take sugar off my tracker since my non- fruit/veg/dairy sugar intake is pretty minimal.

Nice to know that my fresh fruit and yogurt habit is OK, and I can afford to put a teaspoon of honey in my afternoon chai without guilt.