so you count calories like money?

Options
2»

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I need to 'save' to go out to eat doesn't mean money (most of the time)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just wish we could get BOGO coupons for calories. Eat two cupcakes for the calories of one! :laugh:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I do this! I'm glad I'm not alone!
  • LaurenLite
    LaurenLite Posts: 87
    Options
    I have always counted my calories just like money. I live on a "cash only" diet. No debit, no credit. When my calories are gone, they're gone. It takes planning but it really teaches you to live on what you have. There are very few occasions where I allow myself extra calories- usually when I'm getting over an illness, increasing my activity level drastically, or feeling like I'm getting sick. I know I need the extra NUTRITION (so I'll add extra fruits and veggies or even a juice)
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think that way as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    glad to hear others do this, I think it just comes naturally if you count calories for a long time. We just always thought it was funny!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think just like that! I'm always talking about how I got certain foods for almost 'free'. :P
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I totally do this ALL the time. The other day I went for a lunch with a friend in the university cafeteria, and I picked the wrong food. I ate a few spoonful then, it just blurbed out of me:
    - " This food is so bad , it doesn't worth it , so I won't eat it.".
    She looked at me as I am crazy, and she said:
    -" , but you already paid for it. '
    then I answered:
    -"Not until I swallow this s@#!@#."
    At that point, she looked at me as I am talking in foreign language. She was talking about money spent, but all I could see is calorie spent.
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time! Specially with "expensive" stuff. It is easier to stop temptation for some reason. I guess because I have never been a spendrift. I usually go for medium pricing in my clothing and stuff. So thinking about food the same way makes it easier for me. No way I want to spend all my "money" (calories) on some expensive item, no matter how good if I'm gonna have to eat less or be hungry the rest of the day. Of course, every once in a while I will get the expensive item if I really think it is "worth it". Lately it has to be something I really can't get easily before I spend it. Donuts, ice cream, chips and cake are easy to find so I always figure I can get them the next time. Of course the next time I do the same. It's working so I'm sticking with it.

Melanie
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this! I find that I do count calories like money too! :)
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That is EXACTLY how I talk/think about it! lol!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes i do that as well.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do this, and catch myself in public, like "That costs too much." or "I don't have enough (calories) for that" lol. It works for me :)
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have to think of it like money otherwise I just go calorie crazy!
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Hmm, I haven't thought about it that way before but I will now. Thanks!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Your regular daily calories are like your regular paycheck. Exercising is like earning overtime or having a part-time job on the side for "fun money". And if you set yourself up to have enough of a daily deficit (like I do 1.5 pounds per week instead of 1 pound per week) you may even have a "savings" to tap into if you happen to go out for drinks or something extra like that.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, yes.

I don't think in terms of 'expensive' ;cheap' or having a certain number to 'spend'

But I do 'save' calories and think 'I can't afford' to eat that food.
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    hilarious and soooo true (:
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too! I listen to Dave Ramsey and follow his envelope system for my budget and when I found MFP I thought this is just like my budgeting system with money :)