HIIT Question

MiniMichelle
MiniMichelle Posts: 801 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

I have heard that HIIT burns more cals and fat than regular workouts... Can someone tell me more about HIIT and how I should get started??

Sorry for the stupid question... new to working out.

Thanks,
Michelle

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Pick your ratio I go with 2:1 so say your on a treadmill, go at level 1 for 2 mins then level 2 or 3 for 1 minute, then just increase which level you go up to when you start getting used to it, the idea is you are recovering for 2 mins then doing an interval for 1 minute.
    Each hit session is good to last 15 minutes but as you progress you will start going faster and covering more distance.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Couch to 5K is basically a HIIT program, too.

The basic concept of HIIT training is that you do cycles of working at a very difficult level for brief periods followed by longer 'recovery' periods (periods of much lower intensity). So you can theoretically do HIIT with any type of cardio by pushing very hard for 30 seconds to a minute and then dropping down to a comfortable effort level for a minute or more. As you get stronger and fitter, you can extend the high intensity periods and shorten the recovery periods.
  • MiniMichelle
    How would this work on an Elliptical and with Strength training?
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    There is a FANTASTIC article on HIIT in the current issue of OnFitness Magazine. I picked up my copy at Barne's and Noble. :)
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    With strength trainer do 10 reps hard, then recover for 60secs then do 10reps ect ect
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    How would this work on an Elliptical and with Strength training?

I do my HIIT on the elliptical. I go resistant level 8 as fast as I can for 60 seconds, then level 2 for two minutes at a moderate pace. You should be feeling like you are going to die and feel the burn when you are doing the sprint portions. I do my HIIT for 15 minutes as well in 3 minute cycles as others suggested.

Just set the elliptical to manual and change your settings as you watch the timer count down. :)
  • Read this
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

HIIT and strength training are two totally different things that can be combined to see big results.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Good to know
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    At my gym, there's an interval program on the elliptical machine. My "hard" level is incline 10 and intensity 9; my recovery is incline 5 and intensity 6. The machine alternates two minute periods.

Some machines can 'talk' to your ipod or Nike product --it literally runs a program from them instead of the ones built into the machine.
  • MiniMichelle
    You guys are AWESOME!!!! Thank you!!! Going to get started on HIIT tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.