Thighs getting bigger??

Options
Okay, so I'm exercizing consistently 4-5 times each week. I do a combination of exercises to change things up ... treadmill, exercise bike, walking outdoors, spin class, dvds, etc. However, as I have put on shorts and pants several times lately it feel as if my thighs are getting bigger rather than smaller. Could this really be happening? Are there certain exercises that I should avoid if I'm concerned about my thighs?

Replies

• melancholybaby
    Options
    it is just your muscles. i remember freaking out that i was able to put my jeans on one morning then i went to work out which included a lot of leg work (if you look at your exercises, they are very leg heavy) and when i put them on that evening they were way tight. i cried and then it dawned on me what was going on.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    sounds like a lot of lower body workouts, so maybe you are getting bigger muscles ?
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right...you're building muscle in your legs and that's not a bad thing. Fat is more squishy than muscle. You really need to keep track of your measurements. I do my neck, bicep, stomach, hips, thigh and calf. Good luck in everything you do and btw...there's nothing wrong with bulding muscle in your thighs (and booty)...they are some of our biggest mucle groups and active muscle burns more calories. :-)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    As everyone has pointed out, building muscles is a good thing. Be assured, your thighs will start to shrink and you will trim down. Especially if you're building muscle! Your legs will look so much better than if you slack off out of fear of making them bigger. Hang in there! :)
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Ditto on the measuring tape. Why is it we have no problem picking up a $50 scale that measures hair length and body fat and toenail thickness, but we won't go to the dollar store and get a measuring tape?
    I measure each thigh, each arm, hips, stomach, and the "fattest part of my stomach."
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right...you're building muscle in your legs and that's not a bad thing. Fat is more squishy than muscle. You really need to keep track of your measurements. I do my neck, bicep, stomach, hips, thigh and calf. Good luck in everything you do and btw...there's nothing wrong with bulding muscle in your thighs (and booty)...they are some of our biggest mucle groups and active muscle burns more calories. :-)

Exactly!! My pants used to be loose in the quads and but, now they are tighter there than in the stomach and I don't mind that at all. I'd rather fill in my pants there than with my belly and inner/outer thighs.