Body Fat Pin Pointing...

Options
Alright, so I'm on round 2 of P90X, doing Classic this go round. I'm tracking much more this time, so here's my issue...

I started my last round of P90X with a scale that measured Body Fat. It said I had 39% body fat. I'm 5'2", 160 at the time. My husband told me he thought that the scale wasn't working right so we got a new one. I just didn't use if that much for the body fat, I was more tracking inches and weight.

Now, round 2, freaking bringing it this time! Stupid new scale says I'm at 37.1% body fat. I'm now 145 pounds, work out everyday, whether a beachbody workout, running or biking.

So I bought calipers but honestly, no clue how to use them right. Every time I use them my body fat fluctuates so much it makes it impossible to tell.

I really want to track this because I need it down. I know it was probably very high in my first round, but there is no way it can be 37% now! I'm hella leaner, no way!

What should I do to track this? Ideas?

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 137lbs - my body fat scale says I'm 33%. I'm not sure how accurate it is - but I dont feel like i can possibly be 1/3 fat. Very frustrating, i know! Hopefully someone can give better advice.... :ohwell:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are sites online that can tell you your approximate body fat based on you measurements. Try one of those out and see what you get.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that body fat scales are the least accurate way to measure body fat but they are consistent - you really have to make sure you check at the same time of day and, probably, the same day of the week every time. Your hydration levels have a big impact on the result and mine also advised that you shouldn't check it straight after a strenuous workout - apparently mid afternoon is best, perhaps an hour or two after lunch but, as long as you do it at the same time of day each time they should show your progress.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The university in my city offers the under water fat weighing test for like $40. Maybe the school in your area does something similar. It's suppose to be the most accurate. I know it costs money, but it would tell you the truth. Also, if you know your scale isn't accurate but it should be consistent in any changes. So if you are 37 now on your scale if you go to 32 on that scale at the end of P90X, then you still will have lost 5% body fat even if the starting number is too high.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I hope no one gets offended by what I am about to say, but because your scale weight number is lower, it doesn't mean you can't have a high body fat percentage.

I have been using a body fat scale going on 6 years. I track my body fat percentage/pounds of fat on my body and inches. I don't care about the scale weight, because I'm trying to lose fat and not scale weight.

Scale weight loss and fat loss are two different things.

If you ladies want me to, I can break things down for you, so you can see actually how much weight you need to lose.

A lot of people believe that the best and accurate body fat reading is the body dunk, but there's a handheld Omron body fat monitor that people claim to get the same reading as the body dunk test or at least be off by a couple numbers.

I personally think that a Health O Meter scale is good. It's a doctor's scale and you can find them at Walmart. They have ones that read body fat percentage and one that also reads water level. We have a regular Health O Meter monitor at work. My body fat monitor isn't a Health O Meter. Back when I bought my at Walmart in 2005, there wasn't a Health O Meter scale.

I own a caliper as well. It's an Accu-Measure one. Go to Youtube to watch how to take measurements with a caliper. It's suggested that a person that's skilled with using caliper take your measurements.

If you go to the gym and have a personal trainer, they should be able to tell you your body fat percentage. A lot of them us calipers and some of them use the Omron handheld monitor.

Maybe try the site by taking your measurements. I will have to do that one day to see if it comes close to my scale. I just don't measure a lot of area on my body.
  • MamaMonkey
    MamaMonkey Posts: 22
    Options
    I've definitely tried taking my caliper measurements and sticking them in the online sites. It is around 26% body fat. That's what is so frustrating! Lol, am I 37% or 26%. One is healthy and one is not. Ugh.

I'll see if they have a tank around here.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've definitely tried taking my caliper measurements and sticking them in the online sites. It is around 26% body fat. That's what is so frustrating! Lol, am I 37% or 26%. One is healthy and one is not. Ugh.

I'll see if they have a tank around here.

MamaMonkey, you don't take your caliper measurement for the site, you take your body measurement using a tape measure.

The caliper should come with instructions on where to measure your body. You take those numbers add them up and divided by the amount of areas you had measure and that's your body fat percentage according to the caliper.

Different devices can give you different readings.
  • MamaMonkey
    MamaMonkey Posts: 22
    Options
    I have both. Ugh, why can't it be easy!