New to calorie counting ...

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Amanda (or Mandy; I happily answer to either). I began my quest for better health back in 2007, two years after the birth of my first child. I realized that I needed a change when my daughter was turning two years old and I was still claiming "baby weight". :laugh:

A friend turned me on to the South Beach Diet and I had great success. Then I got pregnant with baby #2 and I gained a bunch of weight back. Now my second child is two and I'm still struggling with the last 10 - 15 lbs. They are vanity pounds though. I'm at the very top of what's considered a healthy BMI for my height. Losing those pounds will put me in the middle of the healthy range (and will no doubt erase some dimples off of my thighs!). I only began calorie counting about 1.5 weeks ago and I think it's fun! Of course, this causes my husband to think that I'm crazy ... :tongue: I still follow the basic South Beach Diet principles: lean protein, lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains & low fat dairy. I am careful with my fat & sugar intake.

My short term goals include:
Lose 10 - 15 lbs
Become more fit through regular exercise
Run my first 5k in October

I've never been much of a runner (in my opinion) so the 5k will be a HUGE accomplishment for me. At the moment, I am only able to jog 2 miles (SLOWLY) without walking at all. I am out there 3 days per week, gradually working toward my 5k (or 3.1 mile) goal. I'm not too concerned with speed for now, just endurance. I'll get faster eventually, right?

On 3 of my non-running days, I use a stationary bike for some extra cardio/calorie burning and do some light toning for my upper body. I take one day per week "off" from exercise.

On a more personal note: I'm 29 years old, married (8 years in August), and have two daughters. I love reading, scrapbooking, listening to music, laying on the beach, watching tv/movies, being outside, finding new (healthy) foods/recipes to try. I've recently discovered hiking, after moving to Hawaii last year for my husbands career.

Here's to good health! :bigsmile: