Exercise = Junk Food?

Options
Hi everyone, looking for suggestions on what to eat to curb the carb cravings. When I go for a run or have been at the gym, one of the first things I do is stick a spoon full of peanut butter in my mouth when I get home. Argh.
Its almost like "hey, you worked out you deserve it!" but it just happens. Like I'm in a trance or something and its too late cause I'm already half way or more of eating it!
I hit the cupboard and eat something grabbable like two 100 calorie packs while looking through the fridge for something else to grab.........
Anyway, thats a bit of a rant but seriously, sometimes I wake up in the morning to have passed out with a box of crackers that I sleep walk to get nad then sleep eat. What is that all about?
I'm tired of raw veggies......:grumble:

Oh ya, just as a side note: licorice is bad for you and it does count even though no one saw me eating it.

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, looking for suggestions on what to eat to curb the carb cravings. When I go for a run or have been at the gym, one of the first things I do is stick a spoon full of peanut butter in my mouth when I get home. Argh.
    Its almost like "hey, you worked out you deserve it!" but it just happens. Like I'm in a trance or something and its too late cause I'm already half way or more of eating it!
    I hit the cupboard and eat something grabbable like two 100 calorie packs while looking through the fridge for something else to grab.........
    Anyway, thats a bit of a rant but seriously, sometimes I wake up in the morning to have passed out with a box of crackers that I sleep walk to get nad then sleep eat. What is that all about?
    I'm tired of raw veggies......:grumble:

Oh ya, just as a side note: licorice is bad for you and it does count even though no one saw me eating it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have almonds in the car. I much them 1 at a time on my way home from exercise. Also a bottle of water. :flowerforyou:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    OH WOW!!!! I feel ya here....last Saturday I was at the gym for over 3 hours and felt like it gave me permission to eat whatever I could think of....

One thing I read in Woman's Health mag. was that chocolate milk (1%) has the best balance of calories/protein for an after workout snack.
    I workout 5-6 days a week with my boyfriend and we made it routine to go buy it afterward.

Try cheese strings, the part skim ones are 60-70 cals

If you have a juicer create something new

ricotta cheese (light) with shavings of lemon, or coco powder and one pack of no cal sweetener.

Make your own muffins, I add different dried fruit and nuts then use an online calorie counter to figure out the nutrition info.

an apple with cheese

yogurt cup

25 almonds....

these are things I snack on before or after...hope this helps a little
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    actually the spoon of peanut butter isn't a bad idea after working out.

i'm currently a member of curves, and my fitness trainer told me that after I work out i need to have some kind of protein (something about your muscles being stretched out) so she told me to have a spoon of peanut butter, or a slice of cheese or something.

so every time i finish working out i have a slice of cheese.

she also suggested that if i'm going ot have a piece of pie or cake or something, to counter it with cheese or something full of protein
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've read that that you need to replace electrolytes after exercise and you should have protien. So I would think water/sports drink and some nuts would probably take care of the cravings. So, I'm betting that peanut butter is exactly what you need. Why not just plan it into your day. You know you're going to have a tablespoon (or two) after your workout so just include it in your calorie plan.

As for the 100 calorie packs, although they aren't many calories, they are mostly empty calories. They are kinda nutritionally nothing. You'd be better off sticking with the peanut butter which at least has protien and essential fats.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I like the muffin idea. I could make a whole bunch of mini-muffins. If you eat 4 little ones, it would be like eating 1 big one :happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    actually the spoon of peanut butter isn't a bad idea after working out.

i'm currently a member of curves, and my fitness trainer told me that after I work out i need to have some kind of protein (something about your muscles being stretched out) so she told me to have a spoon of peanut butter, or a slice of cheese or something.

so every time i finish working out i have a slice of cheese.

she also suggested that if i'm going ot have a piece of pie or cake or something, to counter it with cheese or something full of protein

I agree. eat protien

Another good protien is a protien shake. It also helps with the sweets thing. I would really be careful with the muffins. They can be sneaky. You would actually just be better off eating the peanut butter with some fruit