What do you consider sedentary as?

Options
I am set at sedentary right now and I was wondering everyone's opinions on what that means you do throughout the day. Such as your active level. Just sitting at work all day? Some people say that they see it as laying in bed all day. I'd like to know, thanks!

Replies

• heathermrls
    Options
    sedentary just means you dont move around much. desk job. or stay at home watching tv all day or stay on the computer.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's just laying in bed all day. I have mine set at sedentary as i think it means not doing anything particularly strenuos (sp?) ever. I don't walk the kids to school often, i get a lift when going shopping, etc. I have to admit i sit alot.

You'll get alot of different answers. Just go with what you think is best.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um. i don't think it's laying in bed all day.. that's your BMR.. I am on sedentary, and I am a full time student, so I don't really sit at a desk job all day, but I don't do anything very difficult. I used to be on lightly active during the semester when I could not drive to my classes, so when I was on "lightly active" I was walking an extra 3-4 miles a day than I do now.

I run errands all day and clean a lot, but I don't consider this "lightly active" by any means.

Your best bet is to stay at sedentary & log everything you think is "extra" as exercise, so you can eat more calories.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have mine set on lightly active. I workout 6 days a week 50-70 minutes per session. I am a stay at home mom so I am cleaning, laundry... you know mommy stuff. I figure that since I workout like I do I should bump it up a bit. There was no change in my calorie intake. I have 1200 calories either way.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Right now I have mine on sedentary as I'm on crutches from foot surgery and I sit ALOT. Before that I have a desk job but am up and down quite a bit plus I did more housework then and I had it set on lightly active.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When you set your activity level, the MFP definition of sedentary is: "Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)"
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I put myself as sedentary as although I am on my feet all day I know I don't burn many cals doing daily activities, so there's no point giving myself extra. Today I was on my feet, mostly walking fairly fast from 9am-7pm, but still had my activity as sedentary, and just added the extra cals for the circuits class I went to this eve.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i have my activity set at the highest on MFP. i work 5 days a week on my feet walking my whole shift and when i'm off i'm usually cleaning until it gets dark out...
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    I selected sedentary as being a student, my days include getting up, walking 20 minutes for the bus, sitting in lectures for 4 or 5 hours, walking home from the bus, and sitting at my desk working/watching films for another 6 or 7 hours. The most activity I'll do inside of my daily routine is walk half an hour into town and go round Tesco, which I why I have t make sure I do at least 30 minutes minimum of exercise EXTRA to this each day so I feel I have actually done something! Haha :)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Sitting on your butt most of the day.. I.E. working a desk job. Not every active at all. I put myself as sedentary even though I am up moving around a lot more recently.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not being very active. So sitting in front of the TV, computer, laying in bed all day. The only movement really being to get up and get food or go to the bathroom.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and set to sedentary. I also currently workout 5-6 times a day but that doesn't count I don't think to lifestyle for that purpose since I account for those calories burned. I assume they would add more calories if you were active etc and I don't need those calories since I sit a lot for my job.
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    I'm the definition of sedentary: sitting all day at work except a fifteen-step trip to the bathroom or kitchen a couple of times, then home to sit on the couch or snuggle up in bed with a book or a movie! I log any walking I do for longer than 15 minutes.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think any desk job counts as sedentary, if you are going to log your cardio exercise. I sit at a desk most of the day and sit at home most of the time that I'm not explicitly exercising. I wander up and down the corridor to talk to colleagues or get my lunch a few times a day, and climb two flights of stairs two or three times a day. I do a little light housework when I'm at home and often do some grocery shopping on the way home, but apart from the exercises that I log, that's it. So for the purposes of MFP, I'm sedentary. (Not that it makes a difference for someone my height, with the 1200 calorie floor in the calculator - it suggests 1200 calories regardless of whether I'm sedentary or active).