Getting rid of my I-quit-smoking-weight

Options
I stopped smoking a 18 months ago and need to lose the 20+ pounds I put on getting over the oral fixation.

My biggest issues are
* snacking on junk food
* a sweet tooth
* a red can Coke addiction
* I don't want to exercise after work

Because I'm a teacher on summer break, my schedule is (thankfully) somewhat flexible. I've been walking 3 times a week for about 90 minutes at a stretch. I listen to podcasts on my mp3 player while I walk, all the while trying to maintain a 4.5mph pace. I prefer not to run to protect my knees. Exercise is going well but I know it will be a challenge when I return to school. No time in the AM to walk and no desire in the PM.

I'm looking for support in the food arena. Anyone who can help me step away from the Swedish Fish and toward the fresh fruit is going to be my immediate BFF.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    ha ha my quit smoking fix has been gummie bears. LOL
  • kathye85
    kathye85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First congrats on the no smoking, I just quit 28 days ago.
    Food all of a sudden was my best friend.
    I too have a terrible sweet tooth which hurts me weight wise and also being a diabetic.
    I have turned to fruit, trail mix, and frozen yogart or sugarfree ice cream. I measure my portions otherwise I could eat a whole lot more :blushing:
    I have started drinking at least 64oz of water whether I want to or not.
    I walk on my breaks at work, to and from the bus stop, so from zero to 50 mins a day is quite an improvement on my part.

So just like quitting smoking, its will power or distract yourself with something else.
    Have fruit with peanut butter if you need the sweet and salty flavor, frozen yogart with sugarfree cool whip and 1/2 banana makes you think you are having a sundae :bigsmile:

So good luck to you and keep up the good work.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Congrats on not smoking! Will power, calorie watching, trident gum, and water. Just like you don't stay a non smoker overnight, nor will you lose overnight. Just pay attention to what you eat. I am not a good exerciser, so keep closer eye on calories. Keep up the great work on not smoking and stick with us on MFP!
  • MegtheTeach
    Options
    kathye85: I hear you on measuring portions. I feel hungry now just like I used to jones for a smoke. I know it's a mental habit rather than an empty stomach...but dang! Have already discovered the sugar free cool whip but haven't tried sugarfree ice cream. Will have to get some next time I'm at the store.

kymarai: I agree with you but replace willpower with distraction. When I'm home all day, I hear the kitchen calling constantly. Get me out of the house and doing something then I'm far better at not snacking.

Thanks guys for all the support!