How to look like a skinny model in a picture...

mynameiscarrie
mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
I just recently bought a Cosmo, Women's Health, and the newest UFC magazine (which has an octagon girl on the cover). I was flipping through them and wanna know what I noticed?

All the models are skinny yes, and they're in good shape but...

in all the main pictures their arms are up!

I'm no model and i'm still a ways from my goal and i have belly fat, but i can make my body look small when i raise my arms and lean back... and thats not even including photoshop...

So I guess the point of this post is: don't feel down about yourself (like i used to do ALL the time) when skinny people are half naked on the cover of a magazine. Little tricks like lifted arms and arched backs trick us to think that these people have the perfect bodies and, while sometimes that might be true, a lot of them probably look pretty close to a lot of us when they're not photoshopped and posing...

just a little encouragement i guess :)

Replies

• OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Thanks! Arms in the air as I write this!
    Every little bit of encouragement helps!

(lol...."octagon girl")
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    *Like!*
  • Note to self: Lift arms in next picture! LOL
    Thanks for looking out
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Well, that settles it. Ladies, start posting some eye candy for us with your arms up.

Yes, I DO realize I am shameless. ;)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    There isn't one picture in a magazine that isn't retouched and photo shopped :P
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Yeah, the arms up does make you look a tad thinner but a lot is photo shopped. Didn't realize how much until I watched a documentary on it.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Well said.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    i just think it's so funny. i know everything is super photoshopped...but i don't buy magazines much so when i saw that probably 8/10 of the pictures of girl in bikinis, the girl had her arms up i was like "ah-HA, i've caught on!" it made me feel good :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    i just think it's so funny. i know everything is super photoshopped...but i don't buy magazines much so when i saw that probably 8/10 of the pictures of girl in bikinis, the girl had her arms up i was like "ah-HA, i've caught on!" it made me feel good :)

Smart :)
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Look I put my arms up in the air. Did it work? LOL
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    I believe shape and self magazines don't Photoshop so their covers are always more realistic
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    pictures from the above are very flattering an forgiving as well! and they show off my big cheek bones :bigsmile:
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    I never thought about that, but I have noticed that when I lean back in a chair and arch my back I feel skinnier, it always makes me feel good to do that, and since I've started on here there's a noticeable difference so now it feels even better
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Check out this video from Dove about the photo shop work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    I believe shape and self magazines don't Photoshop so their covers are always more realistic

Shape actually had a HUGE scandal over a photoshopped cover of Demi Moore a few years ago.
This discussion has been closed.