Truth about eggs

Options
Fab140
Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100216117&GT1=31007

Crack Wise
Think eggs are unhealthy? The yolk's on you.
By the Editors of Women's Health
More on Cholesterol in Health & Fitness

Weight Loss Winners
Diet Advice to Avoid
Whittle While You Work

Pity the poor egg: It gets cracked, scrambled, and whipped—not to mention unfairly maligned as the villain of the breakfast world. That's because there's a misguided belief that the cholesterol in eggs (found in the yolk) raises the cholesterol levels in your body and puts your ticker at risk. But good news, frittata fans: Research supporting the health bennies of eggs is piling up. And several studies—including a recent one in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that found no link in healthy people between eggs and either heart attack or stroke—have debunked the bad-egg myth. Four reasons eggs rock:

They may reduce your risk of cancer.

Whole eggs are one of the best sources of the nutrient choline (one large egg has about 30 percent of your RDA). A study published this year found that women with a high intake of choline were 24 percent less likely to get breast cancer. Note: Choline is found mostly in the yolk, so feel free to ditch the egg-white omelets.

Eggs keep your peepers peeping.

Yolks are also high in lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that have been shown to ward off macular degeneration — so you'll still be able to eyeball hotties from afar when you're 80.

An omelet a day can shrink your waist.

Louisiana State University system researchers found that obese people who ate a two-egg breakfast at least five times a week lost 65 percent more weight and had more energy than women who breakfasted on bagels. "Eggs are more satisfying than carbs, making you feel full longer," says Kristine Clark, Ph.D., R.D., assistant professor of nutrition at Penn State.

Your abs eat them up.

These little orbs contain a certain sequence of amino acids that makes egg protein easy for your body to absorb. Which means a hard-boiled grade-A is an ideal muscle-repair food after a butt-busting workout.

Which eggs are best?

All eggs contain the same basic good stuff, and the large ones pack only 72 calories each, so you really can't go wrong. But depending on your eating habits, special eggs may be worth the extra cash.

Labels to look for:

Organic: These eggs were laid by chickens that aren't fed nasty slaughterhouse byproducts, antibiotics, or certain additives.
Pasteurized: Using raw eggs? Look for this word on the label. It means the eggs have been placed in warm water to kill bacteria.
Omega-3 Enhanced: If you rarely eat fish, buy these to snag more of the heart-healthy fatty acids.
Labels to skip: Cage Free, Free Range, and Pasture Raised don't guarantee happy chickens.

Replies

• Fab140
    Options
    http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cholesterol/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100216117&GT1=31007

Crack Wise
    Think eggs are unhealthy? The yolk's on you.
    By the Editors of Women's Health
    More on Cholesterol in Health & Fitness

Weight Loss Winners
    Diet Advice to Avoid
    Whittle While You Work

Pity the poor egg: It gets cracked, scrambled, and whipped—not to mention unfairly maligned as the villain of the breakfast world. That's because there's a misguided belief that the cholesterol in eggs (found in the yolk) raises the cholesterol levels in your body and puts your ticker at risk. But good news, frittata fans: Research supporting the health bennies of eggs is piling up. And several studies—including a recent one in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that found no link in healthy people between eggs and either heart attack or stroke—have debunked the bad-egg myth. Four reasons eggs rock:

They may reduce your risk of cancer.

Whole eggs are one of the best sources of the nutrient choline (one large egg has about 30 percent of your RDA). A study published this year found that women with a high intake of choline were 24 percent less likely to get breast cancer. Note: Choline is found mostly in the yolk, so feel free to ditch the egg-white omelets.

Eggs keep your peepers peeping.

Yolks are also high in lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that have been shown to ward off macular degeneration — so you'll still be able to eyeball hotties from afar when you're 80.

An omelet a day can shrink your waist.

Louisiana State University system researchers found that obese people who ate a two-egg breakfast at least five times a week lost 65 percent more weight and had more energy than women who breakfasted on bagels. "Eggs are more satisfying than carbs, making you feel full longer," says Kristine Clark, Ph.D., R.D., assistant professor of nutrition at Penn State.

Your abs eat them up.

These little orbs contain a certain sequence of amino acids that makes egg protein easy for your body to absorb. Which means a hard-boiled grade-A is an ideal muscle-repair food after a butt-busting workout.

Which eggs are best?

All eggs contain the same basic good stuff, and the large ones pack only 72 calories each, so you really can't go wrong. But depending on your eating habits, special eggs may be worth the extra cash.

Labels to look for:

Organic: These eggs were laid by chickens that aren't fed nasty slaughterhouse byproducts, antibiotics, or certain additives.
    Pasteurized: Using raw eggs? Look for this word on the label. It means the eggs have been placed in warm water to kill bacteria.
    Omega-3 Enhanced: If you rarely eat fish, buy these to snag more of the heart-healthy fatty acids.
    Labels to skip: Cage Free, Free Range, and Pasture Raised don't guarantee happy chickens.
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    good info thanks for sharing!!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    Good to know. I had eggs this morning and couldn't believe how many calories it was for just 2 so I felt bad. Now I feel much better : )
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    When I make an omelet I usually combine 1 whole egg (organic) with 3/4 cups of egg whites.
  • lcmartin
    lcmartin Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love my eggs, but I'm too lazy and too rushed to make them. I'll have to make time now.
  • LadeeB
    LadeeB Posts: 10
    Options
    :glasses: i knew there were good reasonsi love eggs so much lol
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm eating eggs now :happy:
  • Fab140
    Options
    I love my eggs, but I'm too lazy and too rushed to make them. I'll have to make time now.

Ditto. But in all reality, it only takes five-ten minutes to make!

O....and I bought pre-cooked bacon....not too bad in cals OR sodium and super yummo!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My family usually eats eggs every morning. It is something that any of us can make. Plus they keep you full longer and you digest them slower and that keeps your insulin from spiking and helps with food cravings and losing weight.

And the yolks are actually the best part for you. Yes they have a little extra fat in them but they are loaded with calcium and protien

Of course we have about 50 chickens laying at our house, so we have to do something with them.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/pdf/Nutrient_Content_Large_Egg.pdf this is a link to egg neutritional values. You will be surprised that most of the important nutrients are found in the yolk, leutin, Vitamin A, Iron

This is an egg website with egg recipes and other egg info.
    http://www.aeb.org/
  • Fab140
    Options
    Awesome links Anna. :flowerforyou:

I actually LOVE Hard boiled eggs. They're conveinent and a grab-and-go thing.
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i love eggs. granted i usually love them most when they are Benedict'd.

mmmmmm.... hollandaise.
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    I've been eating 2 eggs every morning for, well, forever! I absolutely love them...and, they keep me full for at least 3 hours after eating.

BTW: I poach mine, which takes like 4 min. every morning, you just boiling water in your little poaching skillet (picked up at any walmart), then just throw your little eggies in there for 4 min......yummmers! And this is a ton more healthy than frying them!
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    i love eggs, and recently decided to start adding them to my diet at least 5 days a week.

i can't do eggs in the morning though, i just can't eat in the morning, lol! (i do a meal replacement shake)

i like my eggs scrambled, so i'm going to start throwing in 2 scrambled eggs every night wiht dinner!
  • denisebee
    denisebee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fab140: Have you tried the turkey bacon? Esskay brand is really good. 40 cals and 1 gram of fat. I love making myself a BLTA for lunch.....
  • Dreaa
    Dreaa Posts: 2
    Options
    YUMMY!!!
    me too... I almost never eat my eggs like this so when I do it's a real treat....
    Mmmmm.....
    -Dreaa :flowerforyou: