What do you think of my plan?

Options
I'd just like a bit of input about my weekly plan and if it seems like a good way to get daily activity and lose weight + build muscle.

Monday:
30 minutes of Cardio at the gym (Bike, Elliptical, Arc Trainer)
Machine work for abs

Tuesday:
3 mile bike trail at the park
At home dumb bell workout (focuses on complete upper body)

Wednesday:
Machine work for abs

Thursday:

Friday:
Machine work for abs

Saturday:

Sunday:
Rest day & Yoga

No lower body strength training is listed because I'm currently at a loss at what to do with my knees (long term issue + surgery). I'm very much a pear, and I need lower body work lol.

I was with a physical therapist after my surgery and did a lot of stuff, but the problem has changed since then. I can't do squats (that type of motion) or my knee is blown for days. I was doing machine extensions but I was doing some research and that was rated as one of the worst machines in a gym due to the unnatural movement and strain. Any suggestions for lower body strength training with messed up knees?

Replies

• Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm going to watch this topic. I would love to hear suggestions. I have problems with my knees as well and am facing a double knee replacement. I want to avoid that if it all possible!!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I hope you don't have to do that :(

I'll eventually (probably) have to have a knee replacement as well. I'm only 21 though, so I'd like that to not be happening anytime soon. Losing weight will definitely reduce my pain, but it's very unlikely that it will get rid of it. It definitely slows down my weight loss though lol.
  • RoundRockFitCoach
    Options
    I am currently working with someone that has your same issues/opportunities.

The exercise and activities are fine but must be accompanied by a regular caloric deficit (burn more than you take in) if weight loss is one of the objectives.

The person I am working with is not allowed to do any squat/lunge type work either, but her physical therapist has cleared her for kettlebell swings (this exercise has been around for many years but is not widely understood).

You might look into these. They are also highly aerobic.

Good luck!

Your Round Rock Fit Coach
  • FitKid4000
    Options
    How about you try benching? 10x better than machines.
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    RoundRock thanks for the kettle ball idea!
  • letsdothis2010
    Options
    Fit Kid: I really want to start. I'm probably going to have to work up to that though (dumb bells and such) because I really don't have much upper body strength. What are some good things to do?